POLL: What do Cocos2d-x users care about the most?

Generally speaking, for a version number x.y.z:

• 1 year for a major version x. e.g. 2013 for v2, 2014 for v3, and 2015 for v4.
  • we have 4~6 week for each minor version y, e.g., 3.1, 3.2
  • and use z only for fixing bugs

@GMTDev, thanks for your kind feedback. I reply on your titles.

Documentation / Sample Code / Tutorials

What we’re doing:

• Improve the docs, and even refactor the docs system on this website.
  • I’ve updated lots cocos2d-x wiki pages to v3.x in the last week

Problems:

• 3 different documentation system in different places:
  • Another big problem is that, most of cocos2d-x maintainers are not native English speaker. So docs which were not written by @slackmoehrle, reads weird.

Support

I’m building a tech support group for paid services in China. If it works, it can be ran in South Korea, Japan, US and other countries. The idea is, if I have enough income from paid tech supports, then we can have, e.g. 20% support engineers always supporting forum for free. I still don’t know if this way can work.

Install App - Getting Started

We did this in cocos.com. And the some solution can be applied to cocos2d-x framework. If we want things go more smoothly, we can have prebuilt binaries in the packages, and suggest coding on scripts (Lua or JavaScript). This will cut down the learning curve for using cocos2d-x. How about your opinion on this?

No More Breaking Backward Compatibility

This is the large complain in cocos2d-x community. My previous idea was that, coco2d-x is still too young, if we keep backward compatibility, it will slow down our iteration. I prefer to have a “better” version, and keep the compatibility later. Seems v3 API set is good enough.

Personally speaking, if we dare to change 80% API in cocos2d-x v4, just like v2 to v3, Ricardo and me would probably be fired by Chukong :wink:

Chukong’s Plan

Chukong’s plan is to have an unified development platform on cocos.com, with Cocos Studio, Code IDE and many commercial services. Our challenges are:

• Cocos Studio and Code IDE is not very popular so far. Their qualities are not good enough as expected.
  • Chukong regard cocos2d-x and cocos platform as its major business. That’s why Ricardo and me join in Chukong. But until now, we still have no significant income from cocos2d-x.
  • Not all VP-level guys in Chukong has the vision of globalisation. So you can see cocos2d-x is more popular in the east Asian then in the western.
  • As an open source community, we have too much technical fragmentations to merge, to integrate.

I mentioned the future plan in this post. Generally speaking:

• Unified framework, instead of technical fragmentations in cocos2d-x, cocos2d-js, quick-x
  • Better integrated workflow, instead of separated Cocos Studio and Code IDE
  • Easy to use services. AnySDK is a success in China, and it will bring to the world in 2015.
  • Commercial 3D

BTW, all Chukong’s products will be free for developers, the framework level (cocos2d-x, -js) will keep open source. The plan is to make money from: (1) making games and game publishing (2) revenue share with commercial services such as ads, analytics, push, payment etc.

I don’t like anysdk. I don’t want to upload my APK to some service which is located in China which does some integration magic…

If I am wrong pls correct me.

For AnySDK, you don’t need to upload your SDK to our server. Instead, it’s an offline tool with GUI, you can finish your work with this offline tool, which supports windows and Mac OS X. This tool is based on Qt.

Oh, sorry! The screenshots on en.anysdk.com looks like it is webbased!

And I think you are right. Cocos needs to merge the docs in an easy and intuitive to use docs system. Sadly I can’t name you one :confused:

along with the release, updated documents and tutorials on how to use must be available

@walzer it seems that the AnySDK is great solution for all our needs about social/payment/ad … systems, so i hope that it will be available as soon as possible

Sadly, I review all the whole team and resources today, and we still have only one full-time staff working on documentations in English.
Yes, everyone know him in the forum: @slackmoehrle.

@sillyatom - @walzer is has mentioned that my job is to write documentation. Currently I am writing the programmers guide.

#1 Bug fixes: New features and documentation are great, but if existing functionality is causing glitches or worse crashes, then it makes the system un-usable. This carries over in to some backwards compatibility or maintaining older versions, like making 2.2.6 to support iOS 8 64 bit reqs (thanks).

#2 Documentation: There are a lot of features that I would love to take advantage of, but have trouble finding instructions as to how to implement or modify, two that I am thinking about are iOS IAP through plugin-X, and Sprite3D FBX generation (what are the limitations on the models?). Thank you @slackmoehrle for taking on the Programmer’s Guide, it must be a daunting task.

#3 Features:

• Cocos Studio: Better Armature Editor (for Mac too): Many of our contractors use Flash to do animation, which my team then runs through DragonBones, then through version 1.6 of Cocos Studio to get a usable JSON file that plays nice with multi-resolution. We could try to get them to learn Spine (I hear it’s lovely) but the licensing requirement for my company as too expensive, and the editor in 1.6 is mediocre at best so I doubt we could get them to use it. I just checked out Spriter, and it seems better that the old editor, but it either it would need to export JSON for Armature/Animation, or ArmatureDataReader would need to read the SCML file that Spriter uses.
  • Multi-store IAP support integrated: Freemium is the current and future wave so making it easy for us to make money makes us more likely to want to spend money on services that Cocos can charges for (support system?). As mentioned before, better documentation for how to use Plugin-X would help, but even better would be an integrated class for store management. For now I’ll investigate Soomla as I think they cover the stores I care about, iOS, Amazon, and Google Play.

By the way, I would be happy to pay for a “fix my project” service to solve crashes or quirks that I cannot find a solution to, especially on Android. Maybe this service could also be a way to find and add new features that are frequently manually added by developers (of course with their consent to use the code).

Having Spriter integrated into the cocos studio would be great indeed.
On a side note, being new here, i wouldn’t mind paying 10-20$ a month if it meant the engine would improve faster(this is in reference to the unreal engine model).

yes spriter integration would be much better.