Please list your requirement of documents here

Hi there, many developers complained about too few useful documents of cocos2d-x.
I would like to know what subjects of documents does everyone need?

I think that the tests should be documented (with some articles or pdf included maybe?) as it’s where we got a lot code examples already.
Now that i’m talking about them… there are some test that are really huge and confuse a lot at first sight.

Maybe the solution would be to have a examples project so the different features of the framework are in different files/scenes.

I would also be great to have more “simple game” examples, so the learning curve is not so harsh with beginners.

What do you think? :slight_smile:

Transition from V1.0.1 to V2.x

Might be nice if the docs could have a bit more info on what the class is for, what the method does, and what the results will be.
Also, a nicely commented sample program would be nice.

I can help in spell-checking and grammar correction if needed :slight_smile:

Transition from V2.0.1 to V2.0.2 (if there is any step necessary, i don’t know)

1. Using collections (CCArray, CCDictionary) - people ask many questions on this.
  2. Scene management (scenes, layers, nodes, transformations, converting between coordinate systems, anchor points etc).
  3. Using XML (included SAX parser or any other library or even pure libxml2).

There’re of course examples in cocos2d-x code and the cocos2d-iphone documentation but I think it’s hard enough for a new user to find info. And I agree with Xaview that documenting tests (and using them as examples) is a good point to start.

Herman Jakobi wrote:

Transition from V1.0.1 to V2.x

[[Cocos2d-x v2.0 Migration Guide]]
[[About Static Constructor API Changes in cocos2d-x v2.0]]
[[Mechanism of loading resources]]
[[Multi resolution support]]

Lance Gray wrote:

Might be nice if the docs could have a bit more info on what the class is for, what the method does, and what the results will be.
Also, a nicely commented sample program would be nice.
>
I can help in spell-checking and grammar correction if needed :slight_smile:

Thanks, it’s a very important step of 2.x. Before 2.0.2 we are busy migrating to GLES2.0, changing APIs, add new features, now it’s time to slow down and add a series of documents.

Igor Zavorotkin wrote:

1. Using collections (CCArray, CCDictionary) - people ask many questions on this.
  2. Scene management (scenes, layers, nodes, transformations, converting between coordinate systems, anchor points etc).
  3. Using XML (included SAX parser or any other library or even pure libxml2).
    >
    There’re of course examples in cocos2d-x code and the cocos2d-iphone documentation but I think it’s hard enough for a new user to find info. And I agree with Xaview that documenting tests (and using them as examples) is a good point to start.
  1. I prefer using C++ vectors as they are easier and not limited to CCObjects but a lot of people do want to know how to use them.
  2. Yeah, it’s kinda hard to grasp if you don’t have any idea on how to use cocos2d and used cocos2d-x as your start point.
  3. I’m at the course of learning XML at the moment and might write a tutorial soon. If I do finish it, I will post it here.

Lance Gray wrote:

1. I prefer using C*+ vectors as they are easier and not limited to CCObjects but a lot of people do want to know how to use them.
    Of course c*+ collections are great but they don’t support cocos2d-x memory management (reference counting). It goes really hard to manually do retains and releases on complex collection usage (many adds, removes, replaces etc). I think this is why CCArray and CCDictionary were created - they provide poor interface but do all that stuff for you. And anyway for beginner they are better because keep all the reference counting under the hood.
  1. how to setup android. There is not ANY tutorial that shows how to correctly enable debugging on android development with cocos2d-x, if cocos does not support this, we better warn the users
  2. cross platform multi-resolution development. I know there is a small tutorial about this, but it’s one of the most important topics, it should include a detailed example and a cross platform (at least iOS / Android) downloadable project that demonstrates how to implement multi-resolution with the latest version of the framework.
  3. A correct example with downloadable code of how to use JNI with callbacks to Cocos2D
  4. The same with objective-C and Cocos

hope it helps.

Jesús

Thanks for all your suggestions. Adding more comments into source code of test suite is a good point.

But it’s hard to write too much words, especially hard to adding images in the source. So I wrote a catalog of docs’ plan
]
Please give some comments, or edit this wiki page directly.

By the way, the catalog is too large, almost equal to a book. It seems hard to be achieved only by core developers. I’m not sure if anyone interest in writing it together?

I can write some small sections, but would need someone to validate the correction of the contents to make sure we don’t put more confusion to new developers :slight_smile:

Catalog of Cocos2d-x Chowder is really great . I am eagerly waiting for it .
I am new to cocos2d-x and I didn’t program for cocos2d so it is very helpful for people like me.

If you find it very difficult to write translate the tutorials from raywenderlich.com and convert them to cocos2d-x so that any one can develop some sample games.

And distributing some games with cocos2d-x is also a good idea.

I have a little skill development using cocos2d-x for Android in Kubuntu, so I can try to write a guide to setting up a Linux environment. I think that the development of better use Qt Creator instead of Eclipse, because it is faster, uses less memory, better parsing the headers. I think you should pay attention to the Qt Creator 2.6 - http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/09/11/qt-creator-2-6-0-beta-released/, it claims to support Android-devices, so I think the development and debugging easier. On weekends I try to make it to the beta version, if I can, I will write a template guide. Maybe there are people who write plugins for it then would be worth to try to make a plugin to create a project from the IDE.

@Alex, You can take a look at Nokia’s official port https://projects.developer.nokia.com/cocos2dxqt, I’m not sure if it can only run on Nokia N8, N9, or run on all Qt supported platforms.

But Qt Creator it is a simple IDE, without a Qt libs :slight_smile: I meant that in Qt Creator to write native code comfortable than Eclipse.

Walzer Wang wrote:

@Alex, You can take a look at Nokia’s official port https://projects.developer.nokia.com/cocos2dxqt, I’m not sure if it can only run on Nokia N8, N9, or run on all Qt supported platforms.

I want a

“Integration cocos2d-x into android project guideline for 2.0.2”

Thanks.