Playstation, XBox and support for MORE!

Hey everyone,

I am juggling up whether to go Unity or Cocos2d-x.

I started developing my game in Xcode with swift, but after spending some time in development, I realised that I was potentially wasting my time, as I would have to reimplement for Android, and more if I wanted to go outside the MOBILE universe.

I am only interested in, and intending on, developing 2d games, as they are the style and genre I love.

So I have honed in on Unity and Cocos2d-x as the the pick of two engines I would like to develop with. GMS seems like a dead end in terms of long term personal skill development, though it can clearly build good 2d games. Unreal is not the size of game I am looking to develop. And the plethora of other engines seem too niche in one way or another.

My question is, are we going to see Cocos2d-x gain support for all the main platforms for gaming? Those, in my humble opinion of course, would be: PC, Linux, iOS, Android, XBox, Playstaion and Nintendo Wii/DS/Switch (Nintendo optional).

I can’t see anything on the road map, and can not find any info around the net.

Any thoughts, suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

If you want to release on XBox, Playstaion and Nintendo Wii/DS/Switch (Nintendo optional)., then i think cocos2d-x is not suitable for you.

Hey there Zhangxm,

Thank you for the reply, the straight forwardness is greatly appreciated.

Agreed. We just aren’t there yet.
We can handle XBox, but I don’t know what is possible with PS4 and Switch.

We can definitely NOT handle PS3 or Wii, DS and this will never change. They don’t use OpenGL, which we heavily rely on.

Switch is a possibility. Their underlying toolchain and such would allow us to target it.