Pause by score dialog

Hi, everyone!
Have a trouble with pausing a game.
By game logic at an end of the game I need to stop all actions exclude music and sounds and draw the score dialog.

this.winDialog.runAction(cc.show());
cc.director.pause();

But dialog isn’t show but the game pause. If delete last string, it’s works normally.
How can I stop it and show dialog? Maybe I do it wrong?

1 Like

hi ,

don’t use cc.director.pause() to pause your game , instead for example you can make an cc.Enum and add your game states in there , this way you can have a game state variable and change it to different states. like this :

gameState : cc.Enum({
        readyToPlay : 0,
        playing : 1,
        gameOver : 2
    })

and in your script somewhere :

this.myGameSate = gameState.readyToPlay;

this way you can control your sounds and animations. i mean use this as a flag.

maybe something like this :

if(this.myGameState === gameState.pause){
     this.winDialog.runaction(cc.show());
}

i hope you got the idea.

1 Like

It sounds like you may be trying to pause the game while running an animation of some sort to show your winDialog. I do something similar in my game where I want to pause the “game” portion of my code but keep the UI portion animating and responsive to input.

What I do is create a “gameRoot” node and a “uiRoot” node at the top level. Everything under the gameRoot will be paused when I hit the pause button, but my menus and other stuff still work and have nice animations (under the uiRoot node).

I’m not sure if it is necessary, but I found that it works best if I recursively pause all of the nodes under my “gameRoot” using functions like these:

pauseNodeAndDescendants: function(node) {
        node.pauseAllActions();
        var that = this;
        node.children.forEach(child => {
            that.pauseNodeAndDescendants(child);
        });
    },

resumeNodeAndDescendants: function(node) {
        node.resumeAllActions();
        var that = this;
        node.children.forEach(child => {
            that.resumeNodeAndDescendants(child);
        });
    },

So when I hit my pause button, I call pauseNodeAndDescendants on gameRoot and when I unpause I call resumeNodeAndDescendants on gameRoot.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

it’s exactly what I need.
I was think that there is more elegant move in Cocos API. But it is not.
Does forEach cycle normal from point of view a processor load?
Is your code quick or it can implemented better?

Some useful information
Worked for my demand next functions:

this.enabled = false;

Pause a script execution. Because I have an object which move back and forth by scripts update() function.

this.node.pauseSystemEvents();    //resumeSystemEvents()

Node system events includes touch and mouse events. Because this object reacts on a screen touches.
I was create an additional Class named Stoppable and implement it by my scripts. It has pause() and resume().
In button’s handler:

this.node.children.forEach(child => {
    if (child.getComponent('Stoppable') !== null) child.getComponent('Stoppable').pause()
})

I’m not 100% sure but a “regular” for loop over the children array may be faster. On my relatively small scene-graphs (a few dozen nodes) I have tested my code in the simulator and on an 3rd generation iPad and an iPhone 5 and there is no perceivable delay between hitting the pause button and everything stopping.

I’m glad I could help.