Overlap2D - Promising Level Editor

Good evening people, i recently learned about a relatively new tool called “Overlap2D”. I immediately fall in love with the simplicity and the features of it, i believe it is what’s missing from Cocos2d-x from making it a mainstream game development framework. A full fledged level editor. I know that a lot of work has been put in “CocosCreator”, but as a C++ developer i find it very unlikely to move to JS just for the sake of its level editor. The problem is, Overlap2D needs a Cocos2dx custom runtime to work with it, something i’m not familiar with technically and as a term.I do not possess this kind of knowledge. My point is, i kindly ask if someone of the community would be willing to create a runtime for overlap2d (the author claims it to be super easy) and give a huge boost to the quality, development time and ease our games are created, or point me and direct me accordingly so i can try and create it myself. Thanks to everyone that took the time to read this.

for reference: http://overlap2d.com/

Looks promising indeed. I don’t know yet for sure, but it seems that Cocos Creator will also be able to be used just as a scene editor for classic cocos projects. In that case, Cocos Creator will have the advantage that it’s extensible, and probably the runtime will be integrated in cocos2d-x, and soon, it will support physics editor. Anyway, even if that won’t be the case, because of it’s extensibility I think Cocos Creator could be configured to export data in a format just like Cocos Studio used to output, and in that case the runtime already exists and is integrated in all cocos versions(c++, js and lua).

Anyway, I don’t really have time now, but I’ll sure give it a try. And, I need to see the json output, if it’s similar to the one produced by Cocos Studio, then the runtime should be relatively easy to write, minor changes to the existing Studio API.

Thanks you for your thorough answer. Well, it would Be great if we could use CocosCreator as a level editor, but i would really love to give overlap2d a try. It would be amazing if you created a runtime for cocos2dx, but for the clarity of it, could you tell me What exactly a runtime is and What is its purpose, and how could it be made. Im not that advance a developer, but i would love to know. Thank you.

As far as I know you can already use Cocos Creator for classic LUA projects. Anyway, in this case, I believe that runtime refers to some simple functionalities that are able to parse the json provided by the level editor and construct the level inside your game, based on the info from the json and using the image and other data assets exported from Cocos Creator or Overlap2d.

1 Like

Great, this really helps. If you give it a try please inform here. Have a good night.

@GeorgeDev I’m interested too. Have you tried @ricardo’s script to load CocosCreator scene files. I’m not sure but I think that very same approach should work for Overlap2d.

Hmm… current version 0.1.3 (May 3, 2016) Are you sure they still work on the Project?

For a custom Runtime you have to write a Class “OverlapScene” (example Name) which extends the Cocos2dx Scene Class. In this Class you have to read the level Information (JSON) File and create all the needed Objects (Sprite, Physics, UI etc) for the Scene.

No i haven’t tried it, i i believed this editor showed promise because it was beautifully presented by its maker, but as @MuratAlbayrak said i believe it isn’t even supported anymore, a pity really. If it was more Cocos2DX friendly since its creation, i believe its publicity would have exploded. I might get to make a Runtime for it, but i don’t see it happening in the immediate future. But an editor like this would be ideal for C++ projects.

1 Like

@GeorgeDev I see, I’ve also found another level editor compatible with LibGDX that worth checking out. It’s been active recently.

What I’ve noticed is that due to the popularity of the Java language libGDX have gathered a lot of momentum, and also its level editors. So, it’s more likely to find something like Overlap2d and VisEditor that something specifically for Cocos2d-x.

1 Like

Even if scene2d would have been supported by cocos it would have died also, probably. LibGDX is a much more popular framework than cocos and the editor couldn’t survive. The devs were pushed to abandom it because of some internal problems and the community was not big enough to support it.

Vis-editor is a great tool, if someone could create aruntime it would be great. I tried to work with libgdx just to use it but hell, I really hate java.