Multi-resolution support

I am developing a game for the ipads only, but I do not see the point in both having iPad retina sized graphics and using content scale.I believe i am not seeing the whole picture. What i have did was take one graphic and made two reolutions standard and retina and i also set the content scale depending on what was being used so that it would scale accordingly. But when i scale for retina it scales my retina graphic as well which is not what i want.

I guess content scaling is more for android devices where there are many different aspect ratio’s and screen sizes? and also for games that run on both ipad and iphone?

Hi Shane,
I believe you are approaching the problem in a wrong way. Usually you design your game for one resolution say for eg. Standard.
Then when a retina device is used all you do is tell the framework to use a different set of artwork by setting the right resource directory. We do not manually scale images in code here.
Positions are updated automatically by setting the right content scale factor.

@Shane K wrote

But when i scale for retina it scales my retina graphic as well which is not what i want.
how exactly are your scaling your images?

Sorry i was not more clear when i said i scaled my images. What i meant to say was that i used the content scale factor. So if i am trying to design for the iPad and iPad retina would i need to worry about content scale factor as long as i have two sets of artwork? (for my setPosition i used percentages so that should be okay)

So if i am trying to design for the iPad and iPad retina would i need to worry about content scale factor as long as i have two sets of artwork?
If you are using separate artwork for Retina and Non- retina. then Yes you need to set content scale. Dont hardcode the values, calculate it depending on the design resolution as explained in this thread -
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/projects/cocos2d-x/wiki/Multi_resolution_support
btw have you set the design resolution?

Yes, i am using retina resolution as my design resolution. Does it matter which one i set my design resolution to? I am pretty sure that resource background size is the size of my artwork? but could you clarify what design resolution is? and what kresolutionborder is?

If you have set your design resolution and content scale right then you will not have scaling issues in retina devices.
Design resolution is the base resolution for which you have designed your app.
eg: if i want my apps to run on 2 devices say 480X320 and 960X640, then i will design my entire app for one of them ie., let’s say 480X320. So this will be my design resolution.
Now i can set my content scale based on this i.e, for devices with 480X320 my content scale will be (480/designWidth) or (320/designHeight) i.e 1.
and for retina devices it will be (960/designWidth) = 2.

It does not matter what your design resolution is just select one and stick with it. Just dont randomize design resolution based on your current Window width and height.

and what kresolutionborder is?
kresolutionBorder is used by the framework to determine whether images must be stretched to fit the screen or not. it works exactly as mention in the wiki -

>

Exact fit
The entire application is visible in the specified area without trying to preserve the original aspect ratio. Distortion can occur, and the application may appear stretched or compressed.
>
>
No border
The entire application fills the specified area, without distortion but possibly with some cropping, while maintaining the original aspect ratio of the application.
>
>
Show all
The entire application is visible in the specified area without distortion while maintaining the original aspect ratio of the application. Borders can appear on two sides of the application.

Dont know if it helps but Ben Ward has done a better job of explaining this here -

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/boards/6/topics/28506?r=29350#message-29350