Multi resolution support: Using HD resources on normal definition screen without beaking positions/physics

Hello,

My question is about handling HD resources on standard definition devices without breaking positioning / physics. Thanks in advance for your time!

From a previous CC2D-iOS project, I’ve understood that:
iPhone (non-retina) :

• Screen height is 320px
  • Use Normal textures > Character height is 100px
  • Set scale factor to 1.0 so that the characters occupies */- 33 of screen height
  • 1pt = 1 square px

Retina iPhone:

• Screen height is 640px
  • Use HD textures > Character height is 200px
  • Set scale factor to 2.0 so that the characters occupies +/- 33 of screen height
  • 1pt = 2 square px
    Result in both cases:
  • Set character 1 at 0,0
  • Set character 2 at 0, 100
  • Both characters touch but don’t overlap
    Aside from migrating to CC2D-x/HTML5 The purpose is now to run the game on iPad . Following the same logic, I do the following :
  • Screen height is 768px
  • Use Normal textures > Character height is 100px
  • Set scale factor to 1.0 > character occupies*/- 13 of screen height
  • 1pt = 1 square px

The character is too small, it should at least cover 20-25 of the screen height.

Attempt 1: Use HD textures and scale factor 1.0

• Character is larger (200 px) and occupies 26% of screen height, which is good.
  • Positioning is broken: Set positions must be doubled, positions that I get must be halved before any processing happens.
  • Physics is broken to: Mass is calculated based on the surface, must use a different pixel to meters ratio.

Result of attempt 1:

• Set character 1 at 0,0
  • Set character 2 at 0, 100
  • Both characters overlap (half of their surface does)

I’m looking the good way to handle this. Injecting scale factors based on device resolution in game logic doesn’t sound a clean solution.

• What is the usual way to deal with this?
  • Is it possible to programmatically say “1pt = 2square px” so that coordinates system & physics are not broken?

Thanks!