Kindle Fire 1st Gen (Android 2.3.4) not displaying sprites or playing sound effects

Has anyone tested their cocos2d-x 2.1.5 based projects on a 1st generation Kindle Fire? When I test on that device my sprites do not render, and sound effects played by using SimpleAudioEngine::sharedEngine()>playEffect do not play. Background music plays fine though. I tested the game on other devices running Android 2.3.4 without a problem. My sprite texture is 2048x2048 I’ve also tried a smaller 1024x1024 with the same result. I’ve also tried various pixel formats. Any tips to address this would be greatly appreciated.

PS> I’m porting my game “Shuttle Scuttle” which was built on Cocos2D for iPhone to cocos2dx - trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWCyp9TkKUY

Does TestCpp application work normally? It’s located at samples/cpp/TestCpp in cocos2dx distribution.

Thank you very much Sergey. I tried the TestCpp project as you suggested and it worked on the 1st gen Kindle Fire. This forced me to examine my code more closely. I found the problem - I was attempting to play a MP4 audio file with “playEffect”, which the Kindle does not like. The MP4 file format had worked on all of the other Android devices I tested on. I just converted the sound to a wave file using the PCM codec and it resolved the problem. Attempting to play a MP4 audio file on the 1st gen Kindle halts all processing after the playEffect call which is what was causing the sprites to not display. The 2nd gen Kindle Fire didn’t have this problem at all.

It is generally best practice to use PCM wav files for all sound effects when targeting both iOS and Android? As mentioned, I’m porting my cocos2d-iphone game to cocos2d-x. In the cocos2d-iphone project I was using mp4 for all of the effects.

Thanks again for assisting me with my first porting issue. I look forward to contributing on the forum.

CocosDenshion relies to system APIs on iOS and android, so supported formats set depends on OS version (and vendor customizations), as mentioned [[Audio_formats_supported_by_CocosDenshion_on_different_platforms|here]]. This page describes audio formats supported by android SoundPool API: http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

You can try to use OGG/Vorbis (.ogg extension) which should work for both iOS and android, including Kindle Fire; alternatively you can use mp3. Also, can you please add comment to [[Audio_formats_supported_by_CocosDenshion_on_different_platforms|this wiki page]] later? It will be nice to know limitations on specific devices Kindle Fire.