Jerky motion on Windows? (Desktop)

Hi all,

I have a game I’ve been working on. Just a simple “Tappy” style game.

It runs smooth on iOS and Android, but on Window 7 and 10 (desktop, not phone), there is a slight jerk/judder every few seconds. It kind of looks like it’s dropping frames or something, but the FPS says it’s at a full 59/60, which is the same as iOS and Android.

I’ve tried this with a simple test project too and the motion just isn’t as smooth on the desktop as it is on the phones.

Any idea why or what could be causing this? Is it something like VSync not being enabled?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Forgot to say I’m using Coco2D-X 3.4 and Visual Studio 2013 Express

1 Like

I have noticed this on occasion too, in a way.
The game seems to be running at full speed, but it is jerky.
Changing scene makes it go away…
Win32 and develop-v4 branch…

I have the same issue, but I noticed MINIMIZING and then RESTORING the window makes the jerkiness go away. Any reason why this would be? V3.4

Edit: This is Win32 as well.

How strange. I have tried changing scenes and minimizing/restoring, but I still get the jerkiness. I was hoping to do a PC release this week, but I don’t think that can happen with its current state.

Have you tried a fullscreen release build? I have never seen the jerkiness there…

No, I’ve not tried fullscreen as my game is designed to run windowed. It might be worth trying though!

I remember seeing a post here a while ago with a chunk of code for running in fullscreen on Windows. Should I dig that out? or has fullscreen support been added to Cocos2D-X yet?

Thanks!

I think fullscreen support is in v3.4