Is there a way to use cocos2d-lua in an IDE with autocomplete and debugging?

Hi,

I’m in the middle of evaluating cocos for move from another SDK.
We have used lua before, and we would like to keep using it [saves on training, we can use our experience etc etc].
I’ve tried for 2 days to setup a development environment which would allow us to use autocomplete [useful when you’re getting to know the framework] and debugging [obviously].
I’ve tried setting up Cocos IDE 1.2 [eclipse] but I was unable to do it [it would hang on applying the settings when I set the framework and simulator], I’ve also tried the 2.0 beta [idea], but when I select the framework directory, it just does not set it in the options, leaves the dropdown blank. If I try to setup engine, it will not create the project at all.

Could someone help me setting this up?
I have to have a stable environment to be able to use it, there’s just too much time wasted doing otherwise.

I’m using latest osx.

Thanks
Krystian

Krystian,

You may try ZeroBrane Studio IDE; I posted instructions that worked for me and others in the past, but I haven’t tested them with more recent versions of cocos2d.

There is no support for the cocos2d API, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to add. You can contact me off-list at the address at the bottom of those project pages if you want to discuss details.

Paul.

Hello,
I used Cocos2d-x to create Hello World in Lua by using command:
> cocos new MyLua -p lcd.test.mylua -l lua -d NEW_PROJECTS_DIR

I tried ZeroBrane (selected Lua in Project/Lua Interpreter) to run this sample but failed.

Could you help me on tutorial how to config for Cocos2d-x? (not for debugging as the sample can not run)

About the Auto complete API, I think Cocos Dev Team should help us a tool for parsing from C header to ZeroBrane json format.

Thank you so much!

I’ve tried ZeroBrane, but it’s very basic when it comes to ide.

Currently what we were able to achieve is:

Download the 2.0 beta of Cocos IDE which is based on IntelliJ Idea 14 [which is awesome].
I was able to get it working using cocos 3.3 in engine mode. This allowed me to create the project.
Then, we were able to substitute the sources of the project, with a project created using Cocos 3.13.

The 3.3 simulator would not work, but we were able to comment out a few lines of code which made it work.
This is one of the things that has to be commented out: http://rengelbert.com/blog/setting-up-cocos-code-ide-with-latest-cocos2d-x/
The lines listed there are not the only ones, but you’ll figure it out.

It looks like it works, but still no auto completion for latest version.
It would be great if someone from the team who developped the idea plugin gave us the script to generate the apis.

Thanks
Krystian