Invoking a function in the javascript code not working properly

Hi,

I’m having problems calling a function that has been defined in the code. See below.

properties: 
{
 label1 : cc.Label,
},

onLoad () {},

start () {

var x = Multiply(4, 3);
    this.label1.string = x;

},

Multiply : function(a, b)
{
    return a * b;   
},

The function ‘Multiply’ is defined at the bottom and called in start(). However when the game is loaded it just gives a black screen (with no frame rate…etc so the game isn’t running). This isn’t a problem with this specifc function, its a problem with all functions I’ve tried to make. However if a button is pressed in the game to invoke a function then the function does work.

I’m assuming I’m not invoking functions in the code properly. It’s confusing though as I followed standard info for javascript on how to go about this. Does Cocos Creator work differently? Can anyone suggested whats wrong?

Never mind I’ve managed to solve it.

For anyone else who sees this and is confused like I was you have to put ‘this.’ before any function name otherwise it won’t work. I guess that tells it to look in this script to find the function. So the code should be:

start(){

var x = this.Multiply(4, 3);
    this.label1.string = x;             },

Sorry I know that probably really obvious to most people who see this but as someone starting out I didn’t realise that you need to use ‘this.’ on functions as well. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thanks this helped :slight_smile: