Installing cocos2d-x on Windows

Installing cocos2d-x on Windows
0.0 0

Hi there, this is my first post in the forum. I have downloaded the latest version of cocos2d-x and I am trying to get it to work on my Windows 7 PC using Visual Studio 2010 Express.

These are the steps I have performed:

#1. Download cocos2d-x from (I’ve downloaded the version cocos2d-2.0-rc2-x-2.0.1 @ Jun 29 2012)

#2. Unzip to C:2d-x

#3. Run build-win32.bat. That brought up a console window and after 10 minutes or so, the console was finished and brought up the tests application.

I had a few problems, but managed to resolve them by installing the latest graphics drivers. So far, so good.

The only problem that remains is: Whenever I click any of the exe files in my cocos2d-x folder, I always get a pop-up saying:

Get data from file(C:32\fps_images.png) failed!

And then another pop-up:

*.exe doesn’t work anymore.

I’ve tried copying the file into C:32\fps_images.png, doesn’t help. Compiling and running through Visual Studio works, just double clicking them in Explorer won’t work. Any idea what’s the problem here?

You need to copy the resources(CloseNormal.png, CloseSelected.png, fps_image.png ……) to C:2d-x\Debug.win32 or C:2d-x\Release.win32.

Thank you! They already are in C:2d-x\Release.win32. So I copied them all into C:2d-x\Debug.win32. Now the exe files within the debug folder run. However, the problem now is that if I run for example HelloWorld.exe, I get a pop-up saying

Get data from file HelloWorld.png failed!

So I think I know what’s going on. For some reason it looks for the resources in debug, rather than in the corresponding project folders. Is there a way in Visual Studio to tell it to look in the project folder? Caus I can hardly be expected to just stuff all images for all projects into C:2d-x\Debug.win32?

Also, how can I create a new solution in Visual Studio for my own project. At the moment, I’ve just added my project to the solution that came with cocos2d-x?

open your project property window,
and Debugging->Working Directory
add this

your problem will be clear!

Instead of doing that I personally prefer to just set it to $(OutDir) and then copy my resource folder into Debug.win32 and Release.win32 when i plan on running the exe. Then in code just specify “Resources/whatever.png” … which is basically the same thing as above but for me when I try to eliminate the Resources out of the file path it just becomes a pain so I include it all this whole process is almost ridiculous to be honest I mean cant complain much cocos2d is an amazing free tool so I guess be greatful with what you got and learn the workarounds, but if I had to complain it would be these little quirks that make it hard for those just getting started to figure out why everythings crashing (darn obscure c++ errors)