[INDIA]: Game development Community

Hi people,

MUST READ FOR ENTHUSIASTS AND PROFESSIONALS:
I’ll keep it short. Rest you can read their aim on their website.

I recently participated in a hackathon conducted by Venturesity named “Game Warriors” and won a pretty cool Cash Prize. (One Man Team :stuck_out_tongue: )

On interaction with Venturesity coordinators, I got to know that they wish to build/promote/help game development community in India.
HOW? …“AWESOME”…

1) Participate in hackathons (online in your comfort or at their place eating pizzas )
2) Win Cash Prizes(Pretty cool amount)
3) Can get opportunity to interact with professionals in industry as bonus prize. I would be interacting with CoronaSDK Professionals(as the competition was compulsory to use CoronaSDK as it was conducted by Corona guys itself) They’ll help to monetize, optimize and put the game to the play store and any kind of assistance on one to one basis.
4) You can mentor other college guys at hackathon/ Evaluate the hackathon submissions and get your share.
5) CAREER… If we manage to build a good game development community then Venturesity’s image of game developement community will increase and you may get chance to participate in those game hackathons which are for HIRING…(Currently there are certain hackathons conducted for hiring, and they’re conducted by Amazon and other small-big-reknown companies.)
6) You can also find people who can work on your game. It’s not a joke. People here on meetups, on pizzas, discuss, their knowledge and if you like a guy’s passion, you can certainly collaborate.

Culture for game programming is growing in India but earnings still have to reach to the level of satisfaction. And that’s their mission

What you’ve to do?
Game Programer/Artist/Audio-Music composer… Hobbyist/Professional…(I am Hobbyist). And anything related to game development… Just WRITE AN EMAIL to support@venturesity.com.
You can write whatever you want like you wish to be part of game development community. And it would be nice if you mention my name (Aseem) in that email so that recipient will have context that why are you writing that email to them.

BANGALORE GUYS:
Specifically mention that you’re from bangalore, so that Venturesity can keep option to conduct option for on spot hackathons… They do give pizzas and wifi (actually they’re funded by the company who conducts hackathon). And if you don’t have team, you can also form team at that place.

FINALLY:
If we can manage to have adequate amount of people, then they can try to contact sponsor and conduct hackathon for all of us (people can attend it from their home itself, depends).
OR they can approach some company and ask if they want to hire game developers and if you win, then you can have direct chance of interviewing at that company’s place.

WHY NOT JUST IGNORE THIS POST?
Culture for Game Progamming, obviously has to take a DRASTIC SHIFT in INDIA because technical knowledge is not the shortcoming but community is missing, collaborators are missing, passion is missing because there is no motivation as such.… So, Venturesity talked to me that they want to overcome this.

WHAT’S UP IN YOUR MIND… LET ME KNOW… :smiley: :smiley:

(PS: I am in no way an agent of Venturesity… LOL… I(winners and other community members) was just invited today for their 3rd year anniversary, so they discussed with me about the game development community and if I can help build it. Since I have no personal team or something and I find cocos2d-x forums(my beloved community since 2014) as my only participation spot related to game development, I am sharing this with you guys )

Their Contact Info: support@venturesity.com

Hi @pabitrapadhy,

I see that you’re a Cocos2d-x regional Coordinator. And also you’re working on game development as a professional. May be you can connect more people from India to be a part of the community who can also take part in competitions(hackathons) or share knowledge.

1) They also told that any knowledge sharing talks or something if anyone from the build-up community wants to give then they’ll take care of the place and logistics, and that person would just have to focus on his presentation that he would be imparting…

2) I am not sure about the hackathon, but I think, you can also collaborate with Venturesity and conduct cocos2d-x/whatever competition. I am not sure if they charge money or they can arrange sponsors for this.

3) Today, I got to know that Moonfrog had conducted a hackathon through Venturesity in the past and a girl got career opportunity through it. She herself told that.

Or you’ve any plans(personal or as cocos2d-x regional coordinator or as moonfrog engineer) regarding boosting the culture then do talk to them. I don’t know how can they support but surely they will

@siddharthshekar
@smitpatel88
May be you can also help connect your personal community or find other guys in the forums to let know about this. :smile:

Thanks
Regards

Hello @catch_up :smile:

Thanks for bringing this up to the community.
I have successfully conducted 2 Cocos meetups in the past, in Bangalore (12 sept, 2015 and 21 Feb 2016)
The first meetup was focused on Introducing Cocos and it’s game architecture with support from Cocos, while the second one was more dynamic and informative discussing about the memory management and best practices by Moonfrog.

I am glad that I got this opportunity to conduct these events in the past.
But currently, all regional coordinators are assigned to collect informations from developers and hobbyist in India, but conduct event.

Yes, I am aware of Venturesity and their work also Moonfrog in the past had a game hackathon on 17 Oct 2015 as #geeksand games which I was also a participant.
As we all know, all developers in India are in very different parts of the country. So, If the events are solely cocos related then so far our best count of attendees is 15.

Moonfrog being primarily working on Cocos, conducts events and hackathons time to time to find the best talent in the industry. Also conducted events on Game Making with Mark Skaggs as the presenter in the past. :smile:

Cocos2d-x: Indian Developers - Facebook page and group is open to any suggestions, requests and discussion. Please drop in any of your feedbacks.
Feel free to get in touch with me, through the above contacts. I would help in any way possible.

We would try to conduct events in the future as well. :smile:

NOTE:
Please don’t send me code and ask me why your code is nor working. ha ha :wink:

Thanks @pabitrapadhy

I also wanted to attend the cocos2d-x meetup that you conducted but somehow missed as I didn’t get direct email notification even though I subscribed to the website.
I will surely like to attend meetups/sessions in future. May be communication channel can be improved.

Also, In general, community can have hackathons where people are free to use any framework they want, not just corona or cocos2d-x or unity. Or it’s upto the judges/organizers that which framework they want people to use in future.

Next time, when you would be conducting any meetups, then you can collaborate with Venturesity, may be the logistics/arrangement cost can be saved and Venturesity could also collect information from people and conduct some hackathon or carry forward for the benefit of the community you, as a coordinator, will be able to gather.

Also, I think, if the hackathons are conducted offline then it’s not a problem for members in the community whether these people are spreaded across India. Yeah, obviously, it’s great to have people closeby but it’s fine when we have no choice. Also, those people if are participating for ‘hiring hackathons’ then obviously they’ll have to commute if they win.

LOL… but why would I send the code!.Oh on the facebook wall? Haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Not you, but I meant by other used to email their code and ask me why is it crashing… ha ha… :smile: