How to make Isometric 3D Game (Space Marshal)

Hello I am very new to cocos2d-x. I want to create a game like Space Marshals or reckless race 3 . How can I make 3D isometric games. I’ve been working on several 2D games to learn. But as I said I want to make a game like Space Marshals 1 and 2 . Where should I start. What is the path should I follow ? should I use another engine like unity etc. ?

Probably easier to make those game with Unity.

There are some pretty elaborate 3D titles out that have used Cocos2d-x. I think that you could make this. What might be a downside with Cocso2d-x is that we don’t have a built in tool to do this type of modeling/creating, etc. You would need to use another tool like Maya or Blender.

Actually you can build an isometric game in Cocos2d-x. You don’t need 3D engine or even physics for that. Actually the reason for isometric rendering is that it’s not 3D. You have to create a two dimensional grid, then render the tiles in 2:1 aspect ratio. They are all images btw, it sprites. You have to then describe your map with objects, tunnels etc. And use A* path finding for your character to negotiate it.

You’ll have to do similar things in Unity even if 3D. Path finding is the key, not 3D-ness or collisions. Path finding takes into account collisions. You can overlay weapons firing etc on top of isometric layer and use particle system for effects.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess you would call this 2.5D?

@slackmoehrle yes, the technique is 2.5D but it’s not a 3D world based implementation.

We are using 3d max for modeling. I just want to know about isometric 3D map desing if tile map has. and character movement , AI for 3D lights shadow camera etc. like space marshal 2.5 or 3D . Do u have any link for cocos2d-x 3D tutorial

Thank you for the answer. Ive tried that but it didint look nice like space marshals. but I think I should do something like 2.5D as u say. Do u have any link or tutorial to do that like space marshals with cocos2d-x

http://cocos2d-x.org/docs/programmers-guide/3d/

I’ve seen and worked on this one. is there anything else you know ? more detailed

@jackalft I googled around, this link looks like a good starting point:

Tile maps for Cocos2d-X:

Isometric source code example:

@shipit Thank you for your effort. First link looks like 3D ish design. We can do that. But if it is possible and if you havent can you please check space marshal and inform me about that. We are trying to do exact same isometric design… So should it be 2D ground and 3D objects with 3D character animation… I and my 3D max user friend stuck here… Should it be 2D engine with 3D objects if it is possible ? I also checked links before when I was using 2D. But as I said space marshal doesnt look like these 2D 3D ish isometric games… Also we try to achive waterfalls and hills that cars can jump… So its bit hard with 2D isometric I think… I would like your support… Thanks

@jackalft can you paste a link to Space Marshals so we know exactly what you are talking about?

@shipit Ofcourse https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-marshals/id834315918?mt=8 and here is the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm9tF5txglk

@jackalft I think you’re better off with an actual 3D-Engine with physics. You can either use cocos2d-x or Unity. I’ve never developed a 3D game so I can’t really say how to proceed. Good luck!

@jackalft it really depends on the art you have or the art you’re willing to create.

tl;dr - Unity for 3D w/isometric camera and cocos2d for 2.5d isometric. However, just start working on an early version using either engine and test out those areas you think are key to your game’s design.

If you have 3D assets go for a full 3D implementation. Unity has the superior editor for 3D imho.

If you have 2D isometric art then go for a 2D isometric implementation (this is 2.5d, depth buffering, layers, isometric transforms to show faux-height/depth on objects). Tiled and other editors make this option as good or in many cases better in cocos2d.

Unity does have the asset store which may also sway your decision.

Pathfinding, et al - you can always have your world data in 2D, 2D with layers, and/or full 3D positioning so pathfinding can be done either using a 2D grid, 2D mesh nodes, and/or 3D nodes. If you go for non-3D then as others have said you’ll just have particles/bullets/etc rendered using isometric transforms to get the effect of being 3D.

We’ve done both a “sprite”-based 2.5d isometric game using cocos2d-x and its sequel in full 3D with Unity3D (projecting our sprites onto simple primitives where we don’t have models). Full 3D gives easier out-of-box access to more engaging particle effects (partially because of Unity’s asset store and particle system editor being easier than cocos2d’s PU).

Personally for now Unity is for 3D and cocos2d is for 2D games, but there’s a lot of personal preference for individuals and teams developing games.

1 Like

yes, the technique is 2.5D but it’s not a 3D world based implementation.
Courtesy : [Solution Remarks](Islamabad zip code)