How good is working on cocos2d-x with LUA?

I know enough javascript or c++ to work with . I earlier learnt the syntax of Lua and find it easy enough but I’ve never worked with any project or game.

I read somewhere in product description of cocos2d-x that Lua is simple and short to write than any of them.

So, just asking… how good is lua with cocos2d-x against c++/JS.
One good things is that Lua scripts can be encrypted easily!!

1 Like

I am just starting an app with Lua and cocos2d-x, because I don’t have sufficient C++ skills.
This is after trying Gideros and Corona.
The main obstacle for me is the lack of documentation and Lua-specific examples.
If I knew how to read the C++ examples I would probably be better off.
Based on this page (http://cocos2d-x.org/learn), it seems that efforts are underway to add more Lua-specific documentation.
Still, I would rather stick to Cocos2d-x, because Corona costs money, and Gideros, though they have just changed to an open source license, are not there yet in terms of having a community around the open source product (and the amount of development on Gideros now is questionable).
Also, Cocos Code IDE is proving to be a fantastic way to develop.
So for now I am just trying to pick apart the very few Lua examples I can find (like the default/blank project created in Cocos Code IDE and the “No-one left behind” game).
That’s my experience thus far.

Thanks for your wonderful advice… I think I should and can delay working with LUA on cocos2d-x proejcts :smiley:

The advantage of working on cocos2dx-lua is:
1.The bindings code would synchronize with cocos2d-x as far as possible,so you can use the newest the feature.You can refer to the lua-tests
2.The related lua using are exist the http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Modules
3.Tha package size is not too big
4.Some sampled can be found in git and now somebody is doing a work to add a 3D demo game based on the Cocos IDE using the Lua,later,we would give the related address.