How good is Cocos Creator for desktop

in its current state?
I’ve read some people have issues with controller support and fullscreen. Are there news regarding those topics? Would you suggest Cocos Creator for desktop development or would you suggest using another engine (and please try to be neutral on this)?

Hi @Anudin

I am not Creator user yet, and I can not tell you about the controller or the fullscreen. But I think that this post can give you some ideas of what you can do with Creator.

Another point - Creator has no 3d support right now, but will have in the future.

That’s a really good example but it doesn’t help in my decision sadly. Atm I’m not sure if I will go mobile first or desktop first. I’m currently trying to decide between Godot, Defold and Cocos Creator and currently Godot is leading since I’d not be afraid to go desktop first with it.

May I ask how Defold handles native versions? Do you build native mobile versions of the games or they are just a webview?

I can’t answer this question since I’m new to Defold but I strongly doubt it’s just a webview.

Hi @Anudin, @jrosich

Godot looks like a solid game engine / framework , especially with 3.0 Version coming in the near future. However, maybe I’m mistaken, but a drawback I see, is that is a 1 person / programmer. Also, it’s not ECS based, more like scenes, it uses GDScript, which if not mistaken, it’s similar to Python. Also, currently, they are asking for:

Which brings benefits, to increase support and programming of the engine… God Bless…

Sincerely,

Sunday

1 Like

Godot has a really huge community supporting it so it is very far from a one man project. Actually I bet it has a lot more people working on the engine that cocos. Cocos isn’t a ECS either so it doesn’t matter

It’s really funny - I come from Godot and love it but I wanted to try out a few other engines (Defold and Cocos Creator). And in both the Defold forums aswell as this one I get pointed to Godot time and time again :joy: It’s like Godot doesn’t want me to betray it. There’s no escape.

May I ask why you say that?

It is like Unity or godot, you have entities and components however the “S” part is missing, I’d call it an entity component based engine. It doen’t really have “Systems”. In a true ECS the components should not have any logic attached to them just data.

1 Like

Just to add to the discussion, Defold is native on the desktop, not a webview, and their html5 export is pretty performant. But, beware of their license, read it through before considering it.

One downside to CC atm, it doesn’t seem to publish to linux(if you are going for desktop).
Maybe it does through the cocos ‘runtime’ export, idk haven’t tried. Perhaps someone who knows can clear that up?

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. Linux is not an option atm. You should consider that.