How do I get started with Cocos?

Hi all, I am a new here.
Let me introduce myself. I am an Italian student that likes learning new things.
I casually found this framework while surfing the web and immediatly I fell in love, it sounds pretty powerful.
I come from Android native development so I don’t know almost nothing about C++ or Javascript.

Can you give me some information about cocos?
I want to start developing a simple 2d game for both platforms iOS and Android but I don’t know which language should I use. I know that I can do the same with both languages but which do you advise to me for starting? Do you advise me also to use tools that simplify the development (like Cocos and Cocos Creator) or try without using them?

Thank you so much.

This question is asked a lot. I will update our Welcome message with some info about this.

Cocos2d-x is the game engine, itself (and related console tools). The current version is v3.11.1. You can use c++, JavaScript and Lua.

Cocos Creator is a new unified development tool. It is currently JavaScript only, but Lua and C++ are being added. It uses Cocos2d-x as its game engine.

Cocos is a GUI tool for project management. Currently it’s future is unknown. It supports v3.10 of Cocos2d-x.

We have docs, a Programmers Guide and an API Reference

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply and for the availability.
Have you an advice about which language is better learn for using cocos? I have basic knowledge on both C++ and Javascript, so for me is the same.

I’d say pick the language you feel you can learn best and be productive with.

1 Like

Since you are coming from Java and you have almost no knowledge of C++ or JS, I would say go with C++ , Cocos2d-x supports modern C++ which is an OOP and strongly typed language… so the similarities with Java concepts will apply a little better in it, note that I said a little, because there will be a ton of new things you will have to learn. Javascript is very easy to grasp for simple scripting, but once you want to use it for more serious stuff (like cocos2d-x), then you will need a much more deep understanding on how it works, and you will find out that there are many concepts on it that have nothing to do with what you know in Java (Closures, Prototyping inheritance - Hoisting - Everything in JS is an Object - You can pass functions as an object - you can have functions as parameters of another function wich in turn could be a parameter of an object, and the list goes on and on), and besides that, JS is dynamic typed so, debugging will be a little more challenging as well.

So there is not really easy path here, but I think you will have a little easier time going with C++ since there are more learning reasources and tutorials with c++ and also books available, plus you are comming from a strongly typed language already so there are a few things that you could cross-reference from what you already know.

But of course everyone learns different so…

My 2 cents.

1 Like