[GAME] [Released] Tappy Tiki - Endless Tower Climber Arcade

Update: Tappy Tiki for Android released on Google Play Store! Get it here!

I’ve added achievements in this release. Now I have to update the iOS version with some bugfixes and add the same achievements (but on Game Center).

Hi all! Tappy Tiki is my second self-published game made with Cocos2d-x!

Faster Than You was the first game I made with Cocos2d-x. It is a logic/questions game. If you’re interested, here’s its own post in this forum.

This time I wanted to do a more action/arcade game, but targeting casual players and aiming for very short games so that you can play Tappy Tiki everywhere, anytime. It is kind of an endless runner (or it would be better to be called an endless climber). You can also see Tappy Tiki in the games showcase section: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/games/3761

I started with Cocos2d-x 3.6 and updated to 3.9. Using Cocos Studio 2 and last SDKBOX version.

I must admit that I’m hugely impressed about how much SDKBOX has improved! I used it a year ago for Faster Than You, and although it was better than integrating SDKs by yourself, you had to do a lot of manual work.

For Tappy Tiki I just needed to run a command line for each plugin/SDK and add one or two lines of code in the game’s codebase. I use some Ad units with SDKBOX Ads to monetize the game (interstitial and videos on game over each X games).

Also, LiveOps is great! I can modify configurations (enable/disable plugins/SDKs, change/add/delete values…) without needing to create a new version of the game and upload the update.

I’m also planning new content, features and some bug fixing for upcoming updates.

Download it for free for iOS on the App Store and for Android on the Google Play Store and tell me what do you think!

Did you find it fun? Would you change anything (of the game, or the App Store description, screenshots…)? Is the monetization strategy good? Any other feedback or advice?

Thank you for reading! Enjoy the game :smile:

More info about Seven Tiles Studio:

:bird: Follow me on Twitter! (@ ipruch)

1 Like

Hello @iPruch

Congratulations on the release! Screenshots looks very good and clear.

Also, I really like the design of the Faster Than You.
Did you promote this game? Paid advertising?
Or your downloads is 100% organic from store?

1 Like

Thank you!

100% organic (I shared it with Facebook and Twitter, but no paid promotion, only organic). The game has been downloaded about 22k times with the App Store and Google Play Store figures combined.

is it hard integrating sdkbox while in android than iOS ?

Do you mean, hard to integrate SDKBOX with both Android and iOS? Or are you asking if it is more difficult on Android than on iOS?

In my case (I’m using Mac OS X), all I did was to use the sdkbox command line tool like this:

$ sdkbox import admob```

And SDKBOX installs automatically everything needed for iOS and Android projects to work. The iOS project always compiled without errors after every ```sdkbox import```, but the Android project didn't because of several reasons (with simple fixes, such as changing the target-sdk value of the project). I remember sdkbox printing a "completed with errors" message telling that some actions could not be done (I assume they were related to the Android project, because as I said, the iOS project had no issues).

After doing the imports, generally you only need to include a header file for each plugin/SDK you imported in the *AppDelegate* and in whichever class you need it. Then, init them in the *AppDelegate* like this: ```sdkbox::the-sdk-you-imported::init()```. And finally, make use of each SDK's API. They're all explained in the SDKBOX documentation site. For example, here you have the [SDKBOX Ads for Cocos2d-x v3 documentation][1].

I don't know if this answers your question, so ask again if your doubts haven't disappeared yet! :wink:

[1]: http://docs.sdkbox.com/en/plugins/sdkboxads/v3-cpp/

i see, thank you for your answer :smile: yeah i have hard time using sdkbox, this is my issue [Solved] With SDKBOX Integration

the ads not showed in ios simulator using my own banner id and theres some warning to update sdk.
I tried use sample project with smaple id banner and succes, what am i doing wrong? :frowning:

anyway good luck on your game! it’s very addicting tho :smile:

1 Like

I also get that AdMob SDK update warning, but I don’t think that’s a problem. I also try to avoid testing external SDKs on the iOS simulator, because sometimes they don’t work on the simulator on purpose, or it doesn’t even compile. Also, getting AdMob ads to work is strange. I was receiving a debug message like To get test ads on this device, call: request.testDevices = (some ID here);. After some Google searches, I saw that a lot of people were facing the same issue, and someone pointed that this message is normal and AdMob ads will work after some days (don’t know why). I waited and it worked… so I’m not sure of what’s happening there and what can be right with my config or wrong with yours. So I’ll recommend you to test it with a real device instead of the simulator, and if you also get this debug message, wait several days (it should work in less than a week).

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answer! I think this is a very good result for the first game and without a publisher.

1 Like

You’re welcome :smile:

Yeah, I also think that 22k downloads is a very good number for the first game and being self-published. However, active users, retention and revenue numbers aren’t that good. But I can’t complain since I haven’t updated the game in quite a lot of time, nor fixed some common crashes. Also, I didn’t keep promoting the game, and I also think I should have tried paid promotion too, at least to see if it works well. Maybe someday I’ll try, but now I need to focus on the new game, Tappy Tiki, and to avoid making the same mistakes with it.

Thanks for your interest! If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask :wink:

1 Like

Actually, the banner is showed up, but the problem is order layer. In sample using Menu and then add child menu with order layer int. and it must be clicked for showed up banner, but in this case i want it showed up directly without click and i can set the order layer of my banner. Since sdkbox::PluginAdmob can’t save as variable, how to make sdkbox instance for order layer when add to child ?

I have no idea, so I don’t think I can help you there :pensive:

HI… If we would buy the code for a startup project is possible?