[Game] In Progress - Creating a game from scratch

Many things to improve in cocos2d-js, but we were able to create a super quick mock-up in a just a few hours.
The code is here: https://github.com/darkdukey/PeriodicQuest

Here is a screenshot of what we have done so far:

1 Like

Take away for dog fooding today.

1. I miss the type checking in c++
  2. js documentation is really lacking
  3. Code IDE + Cocos Studio + cocos js 3 works quite well (except labels)
  4. Be able to test your game without building is great
  5. Don’t have to deal with android build system is great

I see cocos-js is the perfect platform for small games, we have to solve the native sdk issue for js developers.

1 Like

You need to look at all available languages to program a cocos2d-x game before you can give a conclusion what the perfect platform for small games is. I would prefer lua over js (because lovely syntax and luajit). But nevertheless, great work so far ^^

Will there be a tutorial for advanced APIs and plugin integration used in this game or will it be just the code… and the code… and just the code forever for us? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess even a small document and very good commenting can also work :smiley:

@code_game_chef the goal for this experiment, is to identify the weak points of cocos2d-x, so we can fix them.

@Michael saying that XXX is good doesn’t mean that YYY is worse or better. Lua and JS are both good languages for rapid development.

@ricardo you are right. I just wanted to point out that the perfect platform is absolute. But the way you say it it’s relative compared to others.

Hey,

here we are again… another Friday, another day to keep developing the game. I’ll post my today’s findings here.
Also, were discussing some internals things about the game on IRC: Freenode #cocos2d channel:
http://webchat.freenode.net/

Where is today’s pic? last Friday you posted one.

Coming on to IRC!!

ha :), here goes the photo:

Issues found today:

cc.BLACK:
Apparently I cannot use sprite.setColor(cc.BLACK); but greping the source code returns cc.BLACK.
Does cocos2d-html5 have predefined colors? It must!

Chrome:
I spent 30 minutes trying to find out what was wrong with my code… and it wasn’t my code… it was chrome that for some reason it was using and old copy from the cache… (even though I restarted the server and reload the page).

CPU consuption:
Ouch… cocos2d-html5 takes 100% of CPU… tested on Firefox.
Something is not Ok with the main loop

Issue: It is important to track down how people play the game. For that Google Analytics seems to be a good option. It provides SDKs for three platform: Web, iOS, and Android. And I found a few cocos2d-x C++ wrappers for some individual platforms:

But PeriodicQuest is going to be cross-platform, I would like to integrate it once and then work for all.

Proposal: create a unified JS wrapper interface for GA’s platform dependent libraries. What you guys think?

+1 for that.
should it be part of plugin-x ? does plugin-x support HTML5 plugins as well?
Where is the Facebook plugin hosted ? in plugin-x ?

There is a html5 version of pluginx with only Facebook right now: frameworks/cocos2d-html5/external/pluginx

Yeah, GA can be a new plugin there.

The game is progressing. My feedback today is more or less the say as last friday:

• I need code-completion… but Cocos Code IDE is not very appealing to me. It has great features, but it feels slow and buggy.
  • What happened with Chrome ? Today I did all my testing with Firefox.

Screenshot:

1 Like

@ricardo: Nice going dude. :smiley: eagerly waiting for the game. Best Wishes!!!

Interesting read… Thanks for showing the way

probably little or no time today to continue working on the game… working on finishing the presentations for GDC.
Next week is GDC, so next week also, no time to continue working on the game. But we will return after GDC! :smile:

Status update:
I didn’t have the time to continue working on this, and most probably I won’t be able to work on it for the coming weeks/months, but I will retake this project in the future.
For the moment I will put my energy on the 3d renderer.

Is Cocos Code IDE any good? I read that it is no longer being supported.

I’m not sure what is the status of Code IDE, but yeah, I don’t think it is being actively maintained.
We are working on a replacement, but I don’t have more information at the moment.

1 Like