[Game] In Progress - Creating a game from scratch

Hi,

We decided to create a game from scratch in order to test our own framework: how hard/easy is to create a complete game with cocos2d ? how hard/easy is to add IAP/Ads/Analytics/etc ? How hard/easy is to publish it in the different stores? etc…

Most probably the game won’t be super fun (if it is super fun great, but that is not our goal), and perhaps our graphics are not the best… but again, our goal is not to create the best-game-ever… instead we want to create a complete game and learn from it so we can improve our engine.

In this thread we are going to post our progress.

16 Likes

I want to help!

I think this idea is impress, you dont need to create an amazing game with awesome graphics, just create a game from scratch with the engine to show the users the reference how to use this engine in real project.

Try to create a game with as much engine features as you can (not a must). And combine using another tool chains (cocostudio, cocoside…) is a big plus.

Hey great idea , if you want to make it more interesting
do web dev blog .

Sounds pretty nice. Is there any plans on what language are you going to use? Like C++, Lua or JS version of cocos2d-x? I think if it would be possible, creating the game in all 3 possible languages would be the best, but ofcourse it would create more work.

We are going to use JS

1 Like

awww, was hoping for lua. :smiley:
Please use cocos studio 2.1 ! :smiley:

I was hoping for C++ :wink:

Solution: create it in all these languages at the same time :smiley:

6 Likes

+1 for C++ :slight_smile:

I was hoping for assembler…oh oops. :smile:

I think JS is a good idea as we have tools, editors, etc that we provide that we want to ensure the process and flow is smooth.

It would be extremely awesome if you could show HOW a cocos2d-x project could use more than one language!
For example C+±Side for stuff which is more heavy and JS for game scripting.

It’s needed anyway for the C64/C128 port, so it have to come along :wink:

The tools are not really bound to a language. How would not using JS make the process and flow not smooth?

I can see your point. I guess I was thinking that we could use Code IDE, Studio, cocos command-line, etc and that could be the complete tool chain. I feel like we are having more users gravitate towards javascript recently. There are more and more JS posts each week on the forums. Last week it was close in number to the c++ posts.

Of course those tools should be used where possible, but when it comes to IDEs, it’s just personal taste.

I agree on JS being more of a starting language for people these days, but how many professional games are really made with JS compared to C/C++/Obj-C?
The core and bindings are also still implemented in C++, so JS users would never grasp what’s happening under the hood.

Regarding the posts, I think it’s cause of the false impression of the people, thinking C++ is way more complicated to learn and they fear the compiling/linking/building stages.

Due to that we could implement the core in C++ and the rest in js :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (would like to see how this is done)

+1 for C++

2 Likes

I’d like to see a C++ version too. Also +1 for the dev blog. Some videos would be awesome too.

1 Like

+1 for C++

1 Like

Very interesting!!!

1. Who are involved in this?

2. What is the genre of upcoming game?

3. What is your target audience?

Thank U!

And +1 for C ++

Thanks for the feedback.

The game is going to be a kind of Puzzle & Dragons with a Scramble with Friends mini game, but using the Periodic table theme, everything in 2D.

Who is involved: about 5 guys from the the US Chukong office (we are located in Menlo Park, CA).

Target audience: We are doing it for ourselves… to learn how easy is to use our own tools.

This game is going to be in JS. We want to know, among other things, how easy is to have a game running on mobile with JSB, and on the web with html5.

If this experiment is successful we are going to do it again… perhaps in C++ next time.

2 Likes