I’m planning to develop a multi-player gaming app and I have a few concerns I want to ask and perhaps get some feedbacks on. I have been given a mixture of different solutions to my idea and I want to confirm and see which solution will be most efficient and cost effective. This game will be a multi-player game, some of the main features of this game is as follows:
- users will be faced up against each other online, we will be using an XP(experience points) leveling system
- We plan to pre-record all the “moves” in the game, so at times player will be playing against an opponent from actions that were recorded in prior games.
- Each players will be arranged in each match according to their XP. Level 1 players will be playing against Level 1-5 players while Level 5 will be playing against Level 5-10 etc.
- Notification of Matches, Game news will be sent to players occasionally
- we plan to integrate messaging system, adding friend feature in the near future
I was given two solutions.
- photon server with script add-ons ( was recommended by a few that photon shouldn’t be a problem, similar to SmartFox server but alot of games use Photon due to its compatibility and features.
- our own custom back end server ( Was also recommended by a few that based on the “multi-player” compatibility, it wouldn’t be possible to go with photon and better off developing a custom)
There is a huge gap in regards to the pricing for both solutions as custom does cost more @ the end of the day.
What do you guys think? Will photon work with my features? Or will it be better to go custom long term wise. Or any alternatives I should look at?