Feedbacks of v3.0-beta

Adding support for huge tmx maps is a good feature, but it is not currently planned for v3.0… well, unless someone sends us the patch for it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation.

But I wonder what is the point to make “improvements” which degrade functionality? Cocos ver 2 can handle even much larger maps, and ver 3 can’t even small ones? I like cocos2d-x api, but ver 3 with such limitiations is just unusable (on desktop of course), back to the stone age. I think the point of improvements is to enhance, not to degrade. Don’t be Google :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t have enough knowledge to make such a patch.

Piotr:

Were you able to use 600x600 map on cocos2d-x v2 ?
If so, I would be surprised. But if there are maps that you can render on v2, but you cannot render on v3, then it is a bug and we are going to fix it.

Please, let me know if that is the case. thanks.

Will you implement the rich text label,which like the textField in actionscript?How soon? Thanks.

@Darus Pan
We plan to support rich text in v3.1.

@Minggo Zhan
thanks.

And, will you put the docs into download packages? Because if you upgrade the docs online and my cocos version doesn’t upgrade, then I cannot find the correct docs for my version.

hello! I transplant the label from 3.0 beta to 2.1.5, but I found the label has some problems about position and layout, I tested it in 3.0 beta , it has the same problem.
Thanks!

Ricardo Quesada wrote:

Piotr:
>
Were you able to use 600x600 map on cocos2d-x v2 ?
If so, I would be surprised. But if there are maps that you can render on v2, but you cannot render on v3, then it is a bug and we are going to fix it.
>
Please, let me know if that is the case. thanks.

Sorry, my mistake. Now I see, I have previous, 3.0 version in mind.

At this time I have tested both 3.0: alpha0 and alpha1. They can handle 3-layered TMX maps with size over 1000x1000 32px tiles without problems on desktop (intel graphics 4000) with 60fps scroll animation. Unless I’m doing something wrong, but I see nice fast scroll, so I think it is real :smiley:

But to exclude probability of any TMXTiledMap bugs, I have also created simple direct test for batch node:

void MainScene::testBatchNode()
{
    SpriteBatchNode *batchNode = SpriteBatchNode::create("ground.png", 20000);

for (int y = 0; y < (10 * 100); y++)
    {
        Rect rectTile = Rect::Rect(y % 8 * 32, y % 3 * 32, 32, 32);

for (int x = 0; x < 100; x++)
        {
            Sprite *player = Sprite::createWithTexture(batchNode->getTexture(), rectTile);

Point playerPos(x * 32, y * 32);

Point anchor(0,0);

player->setAnchorPoint(anchor);

player->setPosition(playerPos);

player->setTexture(batchNode->getTexture());

player->setOpacity(80);

batchNode->addChild(player);
        }
    }

this->addChild(batchNode);
}

This handles 100k sprites with 60fps.

Unfortunately all of these tests fail on 3.0 beta. I don’t know how renderer works, I only know, that alpha version can handle everything, and beta can’t :smiley: I hope it is fixable, because there is no such another great framework like cocos2d-x (except native Apple SpriteKit of course) :smiley:

If you need some tests or sth, I will be happy to help.

will you put the docs into download packages? Because if you upgrade the docs online and my cocos version doesn’t upgrade, then I cannot find the correct docs for my version.

Hi All,

I reported several bugs, but no feedback is found, please have a look, thanks!

http://cocos2d-x.org/issues/3711
http://cocos2d-x.org/issues/3697
http://cocos2d-x.org/issues/3696
http://cocos2d-x.org/issues/3679
http://cocos2d-x.org/issues/3634

Ricardo Quesada wrote:

Jonathan Yeung:
Correct. The old Camera object was removed, but it is still possible to call the OrbitCamera action.
Do you need the old Camera object ? Why ? We could re-added if needed.

I totally understood the reason to remove some functions which have been overlapped with something similar. But just it takes a while to follow your mindset since some minor changes may not be found on release note or related documents in the first day.

Actually, I am doing something simple as zoom in effect which not yet necessary for touching the OrbitCamera I believe. Now I achieved by scaling up the whole layer, but this may not be perfect I believe. It may be better to add more of actions like zoomIn, zoomOut instead of adding back something old.

Just one suggestion for removal of the feature. Remember to mark it down in the release note and made suggestions if possible for the removal like.

Before:

-    Node::getWorldPosition()

-    NotificationCenter::getInstance()->addObserver(this, callfuncO_selector(Audio::pause), "audioPause", nullptr);
-    NotificationCenter::getInstance()->addObserver(this, callfuncO_selector(Audio::resume), "audioResume", nullptr);

After:

// Notice that you have to understand what is your target to 
+    Node::convertToWorldSpace(Node::getPosition())

+    auto dispatcher = Director::getInstance()->getEventDispatcher();
+    dispatcher->addCustomEventListener("audioPause", CC_CALLBACK_1(Audio::pause, this));
+    dispatcher->addCustomEventListener("audioResume", CC_CALLBACK_1(Audio::resume, this));

Eric Wo wrote:

Jonathan Yeung wrote:
> 2. The project creator created android project is not CDT project when I import into Eclipse. There is still no clue for me as of now even I add back the C++ support. For sure I can use command to build the project but it will be better if it can also be done in Eclipse.
>
I met the same question with you. It cannot work as v3.0 alpha when I import my project or sample in Eclipse on v3.0 beta. How to fix it?

Now I am working with using the command line to build the project. Even it cannot be built, for “Run” is fine.
Even I tried to add back the old .cproject but it cannot help.
Just a little bit inconvenient but has to wait if there is any suggestions coming.

I tried porting my project from alpha0 to beta by creating a new project then moving in the project files, following are the problems encountered by me:

1. The android project created by project creator is no more CDT project(even the links to library and folders - Classes, extensions etc are not proper), even after doing the config settings there seems to be problem with running the python script. So running the script separately. With alpha0 it was so easy; checked the repository for changes and this was removed, but couldn’t find a reason…
    Can anybody elaborate…

2. The drawPrimitives doesn’t seem to honour the zOrder of the layer.
    I have 3 layer one on top of other, and on topmost layer I draw some rectangles using drawPrimitives, in alpha0 build these were drawn on top of other two layers but in beta build these are drawn behind all the layers. (checked on iOS, android)

• As an alternate drawNode seems to do the job
  1. I have data in a plist file, the data has an array of dictionaries. Till alpha0 I can load it as Array::createwithcontentsoffile() but in beta the code is changed and now its not possible ( it tries to add each object as a string and for dictionary its not possible). Workaround - ValueVector and ValueMap.

2. The framerate on android seems to drop, will do a proper testing before i can confirm…

At least the project ran, but need to do lot of changes for strings, labels, arrays, dictionaries…

psycohk:

thanks for your feedback!

Yes, our Release Notes is not complete, sorry for that.
We will make a better job for the next release.

Regarding zoom in / zoom out, you can achieve that functionality by scaling the scene / node.
Would that work for you ?

all:

I think I fixed the performance issue on v3.0-beta.
https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/commit/bf59f52a642d22fb0c53e8f8bd611b078e86147a

I would appreciate if someone could test it and confirm that the performance issues are gone.
Thanks.

Ricardo Quesada wrote:

psycohk:
>
thanks for your feedback!
>
Yes, our Release Notes is not complete, sorry for that.
We will make a better job for the next release.
>
Regarding zoom in / zoom out, you can achieve that functionality by scaling the scene / node.
Would that work for you ?

Thanks for the reply

Actually I am doing in zoom in / out by scaling as you mentioned.
But I have not yet tested how if I have to zoom in reference to certain position on the screen.
I believe changing the anchor point may help.

Will this kind of convenient functions be planned in the coming release?

Hi,
I read in the docs that cocos2d::CCDictionary will be deprecated in the future.

Will there be a replacement of the functionality that “createWithContentsOfFile” provided? We are using .plist files with nested arrays and dictionaries in our app.
Or did i miss out on that in the docs?

Is cocos2d::CCString also going to be deprecated soon?

With regards,
Josef

Darus Pan wrote:

@Minggo Zhan
thanks.
>
And, will you put the docs into download packages? Because if you upgrade the docs online and my cocos version doesn’t upgrade, then I cannot find the correct docs for my version.

I think it is better that we offer old document to be downloaded.

psycohk - wrote:

Eric Wo wrote:
> Jonathan Yeung wrote:
> > 2. The project creator created android project is not CDT project when I import into Eclipse. There is still no clue for me as of now even I add back the C++ support. For sure I can use command to build the project but it will be better if it can also be done in Eclipse.
>
> I met the same question with you. It cannot work as v3.0 alpha when I import my project or sample in Eclipse on v3.0 beta. How to fix it?
>
Now I am working with using the command line to build the project. Even it cannot be built, for “Run” is fine.
Even I tried to add back the old .cproject but it cannot help.
Just a little bit inconvenient but has to wait if there is any suggestions coming.

The reason we removed CDT support is that. It will build samples automatically when opening Eclipse, because i often have all samples in Eclipse project. It will take a few minutes after i can use it. It is boring.

Minggo Zhang wrote:

psycohk - wrote:
> Eric Wo wrote:
> > Jonathan Yeung wrote:
> > > 2. The project creator created android project is not CDT project when I import into Eclipse. There is still no clue for me as of now even I add back the C++ support. For sure I can use command to build the project but it will be better if it can also be done in Eclipse.
> >
> > I met the same question with you. It cannot work as v3.0 alpha when I import my project or sample in Eclipse on v3.0 beta. How to fix it?
>
> Now I am working with using the command line to build the project. Even it cannot be built, for “Run” is fine.
> Even I tried to add back the old .cproject but it cannot help.
> Just a little bit inconvenient but has to wait if there is any suggestions coming.
>
The reason we removed CDT support is that. It will build samples automatically when opening Eclipse, because i often have all samples in Eclipse project. It will take a few minutes after i can use it. It is boring.

:smiley:
Interesting. But mainly for 3.0beta, the project structure will become separated with samples again.
And usually for the developer at work, it is a must to remove sample from working repository to keep the project clean.
Can you provide the instructions to add back CDT by ourselves?

Minggo Zhang wrote:

Darus Pan wrote:
> @Minggo Zhan
> thanks.
>
> And, will you put the docs into download packages? Because if you upgrade the docs online and my cocos version doesn’t upgrade, then I cannot find the correct docs for my version.
>
I think it is better that we offer old document to be downloaded.

It’s better.