Feature requests for platformer engine?

Hi all. I just released a new platformer game kit based on cocos2dx 3.2. It has procedurally generated textures, javascripting for level scripts, realtime networked multiplayer support, IAP / virtual economy support and procedurally generated TMX tiled maps. See the above link.

What other features would you like to see in a platformer game engine?

It also has support for gamepads on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Thanks for making this available.

I’ve purchased a number of game kits that have been extremely helpful but specifically I’m looking for a platformer kit that covers things like slopes, ladders, one way platforms (jump up through but land on), movable platforms. I guess trying to create a classic platformer like Mario. I see that you have some of these features but are using Box2d for the physics. This would be my only concern. I feel like this is not appropriate for the type of game I want to make. How difficult do you think it would be to replace Box2d with a simple tile based collision detection engine (using bounding boxes) and still have those features? And would you be open to releasing a version that has that?

Thanks again.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. :smile:

Having a simple tile-based collision detection engine (essentially a custom physics engine) is only one step away. You might have already seen this, but I wrote an abstracted physics engine header which allows for swapping in a different engine by simply changing a single cpp file. See Physics.h for details.

While the current platformer engine uses Box2d, your request confirms how important a custom physics engine is. Let me take a crack at writing a PhysicsCustom.cpp and I will get back to you here on the forum. If all goes well, it could be part of the next update to the platformer engine.