Farewell to our friends: Chukong U.S office is closing March 31, 2017

Dear Friends,

It is with a great deal of sadness that @ricardo and @slackmoehrle must announce that the U.S office for Chukong Technologies is being closed on March 31, 2017. The closing is due to financial strain. Salary levels between the U.S. and China have a huge gap and it is honestly difficult for a Chinese company to pay salaries in a situation that the exchange rate is going higher and higher. It is simply a tough burden to shoulder.

The closing means that @ricardo and @slackmoehrle will no longer be representing Cocos2d-x in an official capacity. The engine team in China will continue working on Cocos2d-x and Cocos Creator. That includes Minggo, James, Shun, Zhe and the team behind them.

Cocos2d-x is a world-class open source project, majority maintained by the full-time engineers at Chukong Technologies, with the cooperation of hundreds of contributors around the world. @slackmoehrle will continue to moderate the Cocos2d-x forums and help everyone here on a volunteer basis.

Cocos2d-x will continue to be developed and released, with v3.15 coming in just 1 month. C++ support in Cocos Creator has been planned for v3.16, which is planned for July. Cocos2d-x v4 will start development by adopting Cocos2d-x-lite as it’s main branch. Cocos2d-x v4 will be lighter weight and faster.

Here are resources for obtaining help:

• read our docs.
  • look at GitHub for any issues you are experiencing.
  • create a new GitHub issue.
3 Likes

Best wishes to Ricardo and you.

This is by far the saddest news for me as two of my favorite guys will not be available here on a regular basis.
@slackmoehrle you my friend remains one of the best person i meet online when it comes to helping people and keeping things organized. Its been a long time since i am following you and really appreciate your efforts towards this community. You inspired me to help others, since then been trying to follow on your paths. Wishing you best wishes, may god bless us all and we all find success.

@ricardo You Sir remained the champ for me, i always envied your knowledge. You remained a teacher for me and always will be. Thank you for all your hard work and supporting the community.

Wishing you guys and anyone else part of USA office best of luck and good wishes.

Thanks
Lazy_Gamer(No more Lazy :wink:)

1 Like

Sad news :frowning:
Wish you best @slackmoehrle and @ricardo!!

Wow, I guess I missed when this was originally posted a month ago, what a pretty big shock! Best of luck @slackmoehrle and @ricardo . I’m gonna miss seeing you guys around here, you’ve both great people and have been so incredibly helpful. Best of luck to both of you.

It’s going to be truly weird using Cocos2d without the US office, it feels like my safety blanket has been taken away :frowning:

Thank you everyone! These last three years have been really positive for me. I was using Cocos2d-x for about 18 months before I joined the team.

I will still be here but not officially. That being said the engineering team and I have an understanding that I will help keep the communities needs heard. I will also retain access to email.

@ricardo you have been fantastic to work with and a true friend.

Edit: I’m starting a new game.

4 Likes

Thank you all!

It was a pleasure for me to work for Chukong. I met great people. Thank you @walzer, @ShunLin, @zhangxm, @slackmoehrle, @nite and the rest of the team!
And thank you the community for all your patches, suggestions, discussions, ideas, bug reports, etc!

See you soon! (in China, in the US, in Argentina
 who knows!).

PS: this is not an April Fools’ joke.

Hi

that’s very sad, all the best to ricardo and slackmoehrle. Read you hopefully here soon. :wink:

Take care

Mike

P.S.: The renminbi volatility does’t look that wild.

@slackmoehrle, @ricardo

Thank you both, you have been an invaluable part of this community, and I want you both to know that your feedback has made an incredible difference to me and my ability to work with cocos2d-x.

Best wishes to you both, I do hope that you remain active participants in this community.

There are a lot of factors like salary, insurance coverage, business fees, equipment, etc etc. I appreciate that this starts to add up to a lot.

Not the best joke.

It isn’t a joke :slight_frown:

I can post my termination letter if you would like.

This is really sad. :frowning:
Hopefully cocos2d-x cpp never dies.

This is real shocking news

If it weren’t for @slackmoehrle and @ricardo, i wouldn’t be with Cocos now. Thanks a lot for all your help guys
Can’t imagine this forum active without you

All the best guys for your future endeavours

2 Likes

I am still using Cocos2d-x for an app I started last year. I’ll be here still and participate as much as I can.

If anyone needs some code written, I might have a few minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sad news indeed. I wish the best to both of you.

Not sure how I missed this one. Thanks to the both of you for all your work on the engine/forums.

Goodbye @ricardo and @slackmoehrle! Thanks for all that you have contributed! We will miss you guys.

Then why is this not an official announcement? And on the first of April
 Oh please.
But we will see today.

This is absolutely real. China doesn’t observe April fools day. If you have questions we can tag @walzer to clarify.