How to create more realistic fireworks with the Particle System?

I’d like to create a more realistic firework explosion. Can someone who has worked on something like that give me some pointers?
Mostly I’d like to create streaking or trails after the explosion. I’m not concerned with how a firework shoots up into the sky and the rocket leaves a trail, but after the firework explodes, the small pieces leave trails themselves and that’s what I’d like to recreate.
I’m using ParticleSystemQuad directly, and inputting speed, acceleration, gravity and all that stuff makes them look ok-ish, but not super.

In unity there are sub emitters and those are exactly what I’d use for the trails, but I don’t see anything like that in cocos.

Any advice?

You should probably look at Effekseer particle editor, it has nice features and supports cocos2d-x, so it might fit your case :wink:

ok, thanks man, I didn’t know about it.

The english docs are a little confusing right now; it took me some time to figure out what exactly the workflow is.
Didn’t get very far, cos I had to dig through the code and I don’t have more time to play around with it right now.
I guess when I get a chance I’ll run the samples to see how they work on devices, before I dive in too deep.

But it seems pretty good, if it works :slight_smile:
Have you used it yourself?
What about the editor, any chance you made it run on something other than windows?

Personally, it the only viable option for me, so I’m pretty happy with this tool. Although it will take some time to learn. But english docs are nicely written, so read carefully as almost everything you need is documented. Btw, the only thing I haven’t found in docs that I need, is in game(cocos2d-x) scaling. Maybe @Effekseer could explain us more, how scaling works Editor → Cocos2d-x? I’m having hard time figuring out how to make for example 10px particles in game(should I scale emitter in cocos2d-x or use output magnification, basically I have no idea now).

Have you used it yourself? → Atm I’m trying to make some nicely looking particles for my game :smiley:try
What about the editor, any chance you made it run on something other than windows? → Nope, I’m windows user, so there is no need to run on OS X (for me).

Docs:
FullTutorials
Cocos2d-x integration