Create youtube-like app with cocos creator

Hi, im a web developer. About half year ago i started to learn cocos creator in free time and get familiar with it and love it. I can make some small game, online game with it. And i just think that my company ( making website) also have a android team and ios team to make an youtube like app. They took 3 years to make that app i dont know why i think that is so simple app. And i think why i dont use cocos creator to make multi platform app for my company. And i tried. I can make the 3 years app with cocos creator in 1 week. It run very smooth. Until i run into a wall…

That is what i need is, the main process of the app is the video player. I cant use default video player because i need customize it, adding menu, button, text over the video. I could write player in java and call native code from cocos that start that java player activity. But i cant do that with ios because i dont knơ objective C and my mac virtual machine is only fast enough to build, not to work on that.

So i think there is 2 ways to solve my problems :slight_smile:
A. Learn objective C, buy a macbook and write player on that.
B. Learn how to write player with cocos only.

I wish that i could do the B. Bút as far as i know, cocos render all node in a layer, and put video player on another layer. So i cant make it like in native code or like in web. Can i do that in the future with cocos? I need that feature so bad.

Hmm, I think you will indeed need to access the native frameworks for creating a video player. Each does it differently. Maybe it is possible to embed functionality from http://videojs.com/

Videojs html5 only, isnt it? Do they have any customizeable native version?

I don’t know. I use them for HTML5 websites but my thought was perhaps you could use a WebView. Take a look here: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/docs/creator/api/en/, the API Reference talks about WebView and some VideoPlayer functionality. I haven’t tried it though.

Webview is too slow, i will try to find some way to make a multi platform video player and embed into cocos

Hi @lucifekit

Could you share your progress regarding this?