Compare game engine between unity3d and cocos

hello ~, which game engine u choose between unity3d and cocos?
i know in china now, many many game company will or already give up cocos and transfrom to unity3d. the reason is that, unity3d can supply many plugins and super good 3D game engine. and good game editor , the that is cocos weak point. so what u guys thought between untiy3d and cocos.
ps : i like to use cocos, but i have to use unity3d in company.

1 Like

I am one of many people who switched from Unity to Cocos2d-X. And Cocos2d-X has lots of plugins.

but if will develop 3d games, unity3d is only choose

im am not being bias here but for now for me Unity is better than cocos2d…
i came from unity and switch to cocos because my boss wants to use cocos2dx-js as our engine…

at first i was very confused with cocos2d but later on i find it cocos is really good and powerful…
but if you compare unity and cocos2d, for the time being unity is better than cocos2d…

but when it comes to hot update, i think cocos2d is better than unity…
and of course cocos2d is free and unity is not 100% free hehe :blush:

yeah. if will be develop hardcore game, unity3d is better. and unity3d can also hot update using lua.

and also unity3d have Network System integration.

but dont get me wrong cocos2dx is a powerful engine… its better than most game engines out there :smile:

i am using cocos to develop 2d game also . i like cocos too

I like cocos ,because cocos gives me an illusiton that I can control everything ! everything !

1 Like

For now i think for 2d , cross platform Cocos2d-x is way better .
in terms of preference , open source , small excusable , light . extensible . fast.
For 2d stuff unity3d it is to much.
Don’t get me wrong i think unity3d is great product ,
For 3d it is in the beginning. so i guess unity3d is better .

what do you mean by network system integration?

prefer cocos2d cuz i like programing on linux, and i can only do that using cocos. I really like develop games using c++ , and again only cocos gimme this option.

While I’ve never seriously used Unity before, it just seemed like overkill for a 2D project. Add the fact that cocos2d is free and open source, and it’s a no brainer for me. Unity certainly has better tools than cocos2d though, hopefully that’s being addressed by Cocos Creator (I have yet to download and check it out). I’ve quite literally spent man months writing python scripts to parse UI and animation information from Flash XFL files that my cocos2d games can load. If there were a quality WSYWIG editor/tool similar to SpriteBuilder for cocos2d-x it would save me a huge amount of time.

Also (and this is kind of a gut instinct thing) if I were going 3D, right now I’d probably go with Unreal over Unity. It just seems like a far more mature and performant engine than Unity.

that’s news to us…

I used Unity. Now I’m using cocos2d-x.
-If you’re talking about framework quality : cocos2d-x. (I’m sure about that)
-Cocos2d-x performance is better then unity in mobile for 2d. (It’s very important! )
-Cocos2d-x is supporting major helper plugins with sdkbox.

Cocos2d-x has one disadvantage against unity for me; the editor. But it’s not disadvantage for every developer. They can write their game editor or can use some 3th party solutions.

Imagine, cocos2d-x has very great visual editor for the development. After compare cocos2d-x with unity for 2d games. I think, cocos2d-x will win.

At least in Shanghai in china, unity3d is first choose, cause many companys want to make hardcore games. such as ARPG or MMORPG 3D game.
Don’t get me wrong, i am now using cocos to devlelop my 2d games, maybe add 3d features. :blush:

For me cocos2dx is good for 2D development but missing 3D features as unity

I believe that cocos API are much easier. But where Unity completely takes over Cocos is Editor Debugging and secondly easier to scripting. I have not had chance to mess with LUA(hot code) so I could be wrong. But debugging is literally irritating sometimes.

Cocos2d-x -> 2D
Unity3D -> 3D

What if we worked in groups

Make the same exact game, something simple that can be made over a weekend.

One team using Cocos2d-x

Another using Unity.