Cocos2dx Program Structure

I am having a hard time grasping the essential files needed to make an app. I can do simple edits to the Hello World example like changing text, swapping pictures and recompiling, but I don’t understand where to go next.

I am using Ubuntu with Eclipse to develop Android apps because I don’t have easy access to a mac and an iPad. However, most of the beginners’ tutorials online start in XCode and then add android support.

I am trying to understand the Paralaxer SpriteDragger app, for example. (http://paralaxer.com/cocos2d-x-tutorial/) The file structure is different than what my create-android-project.sh file creates. The cocos2dx folder is inside of a “code” folder with what looks like C*+ and Obejctive-C files mixed together. I have tried to get this app to work within the file structure the android script creates, but I can’t get it to compile.
So I gave up on that, and then I moved on to the space game example here . This one looked promising because you just drop some code into the “HelloWorld” files, but I get compile errors from that as well. Cannot find functions on lines…. I searched for the functions the compiler couldn’t find, and I couldn’t find them either. I saw on a forum post somewhere that at least one of the functions had been deprecated with a suggestion on what to use instead, but the other one I couldn’t find any info on.
So here is a list of questions I have. If you could help me with any of them I would appreciate it.

A lot of the examples I am seeing are building off of the “HelloWorld” files. Is this the way we are supposed work with Cocos2dx?
If not, what files do I need to edit to use a different jumping off point?
How do I know what functions are deprecated and how do I find what to use instead?
What order are these files supposed to be called? AppDelegate…
If I wanted to take ios projects and drop the C*+ into an android project, what goes where?

I apologize for the rambling, I just don’t know where to go to start building. Thanks in advance!

“HelloWorld” is renamed and moved to “samples/cpp/HelloCpp” in the recent versions.

To create such a HelloCpp/proj.{$platform} structure, you can modify from HelloCpp as most tutorials wrote, or use my new laser weapon https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/tree/master/tools/project-creator. The guide to this creator is [[How to create a multi-platform project in one command line]]. This feature is ready and waiting for the next version release.

For your questions:
* Starting from xcode or Visual Studio is better than eclipse, since android ndk development environment is not friendly to c++ programs
* You had to learn different mechanics of project file settings on different platforms, e.g. organize your files in android.mk on android, in xcodeproj on ios, in visual studio on windows.

Zhe, you’re the man. The multi-project creator is awesome! Now I just have to figure out how these are put together. More questions to follow…