Cocos2d-x v3.10 released

Congratulations!! Thanks for the great work. I am looking into the Jquery for some of the text input etc. I hope cocos2d-x can support more on application type of features, like text input, media auto/video recording, etc.

Question to @slackmoehrle
Is cocos team working on new platforms like tvOS, androidTV, watchOS, android wear? Only for tvOS there’s an unofficial solution.
Also, what’s even more important, what about android studio support. I mean real support. With gradle, debugging etc. On precompiled libs :slight_smile: Many people asks for that.

1 Like

We are talking about tvOS support. Other platforms don’t even use OpenGL (like WatchOS) so we can’t support this right now.

We support Android Studio now, but I think we don’t do everything with gradle and debugging perfectly at this point. I really don’t know what aspects of Android Studio support we are currently lacking.

Thank you. That worked \m/

Great news! Thanks for all the awesome work on this. I already moved my project to 3.10 and works like a charm.

@slackmoehrle Do you know if this is the proper place to post Cocos Studio bugs/requests ? It doesn’t seem to have much activity.

I don’t know about WatchOS, but I’m pretty sure both Android TV and Android Wear do support OpenGL. On LG G Watch I was able to run my cocos2d-x game from eclipse. It worked, but ofc it needs some enchantments for smaller screen and somehow be packaged within smartphone app (because you can’t install apps directly at user conditions). I was even able to run game made in Flash (air sdk) :smile:
I’m sure it’s similar for Android TV.

As for android studio I’ve just created 2 test projects:

1. NewCocosProjectPrecompiled

2. NewCocosProjectSourceCode

3. yells “Only a cocos source code project can be opened in Android Studio”. Why can’t precompiled project work in Android studio?

4. Project opens, but I only “Nothing to show” in Project panel, I can’t run app (run is grayed out).

Anyway SourceCode is no-go for me. It compiles too long and takes too much space.

Thank you for this new release!

Just a quick question, what is the right way to update an existing project?
In the past I’ve done this:

1. Extract the new cocos zip, running setup.py
  2. Create a new project for my App
  3. Copy my Classes and Resources, platform related files in this new App.
  4. Compare the old and the branch dir to see if I have forgotten something.

Is there a more automatic way to upgrade?

It is not the proper place and we really don’t have a place. You can use the Cocos app to provide feedback. You can always send to me and I can communicate it as well.

It depends, are you using the pre-built libraries? If so, it becomes really easy.

The Cocos app will have upgrade functionality built into it soon.

Are you using the source right now in your project?

I’m using the source now.
But in the next project maybe I’ll switch to prebuilt if the compile process will be faster.

I spend a lot of times compiling, even if I simulate in VS because at the moment is the fastest way to debug under Windows

You can switch to pre-built libraries pretty quickly. Usually you need to link against them and add the headers to your header search path.

When I was using source and needed to upgrade, I simply pulled from GitHub and then re-compiled. This worked for me since I kept cocos2d-x in one place and my projects looked at that location. All my projects upgraded at once because of this.

Ok thank you I’ll give a try to prebuilt :wink:

• V3.10 still doesn’t support resources( exported from Cocos Studio) json format?
  • When will ActionTimeline support changing skin at runtime?

@slackmoehrle can you answer my question please?: Cocos2d-x v3.10 released just few posts above.

Please be so kind and check my issues thru this link - I guess no point for me to send these separately?
https://github.com/darkdukey/Cocos-Studio/issues/created_by/netunlimited

Issues posted by other users also seem quite useful, so you might want to check those out too.

So I’ll PM any new issues to you directly then. Thanks.

I have asked our engineering team to write up integrating with Android Studio instructions.

3 Likes

I have a 3.4 project. If I want to update my project to use 3.10, do I simply remove my cocos folder and copy a new cocos folder there, or do I need to create a new project and move everything to it?

thanks, you guys do awesome work!

I have question about how can I create Android-studio project from a working project which is created by cocos-studio.
I am using 3.10 as both cocos2d-x SDK and Studio

Nice. Any explanation why we can’t use precompiled version in Android Studio?

Nice,
I’m new to the cocos ecosystem, I’m a developer with 8 years experience in web development and javascript, I also know python, c++, php and c#.

As a new player in the game. Should I download the Cocos all in one solution or should I download the cocos 2d-x engine only?

Also someone here can point to a good way to start game development using cocos.

Thanks

And forgive the bad English.