Cocos2d-x and poor updates!

Ricardo. I have nothing but admiration for you and your skills; if not for you we would not be here - so this is not criticism of you, in any way.

But PLEASE use whatever influence you have to stop the ‘ohhh! look, shiny!!’ and concentrate on a few ‘stabilisation’ sprints!

sound - come on - we all know sound support in Cocos is plain awful - especially on Android.
Android generally is a second class citizen - it needs sone serious development resources to sort out the issues.
3D. I would suggest splitting the engines - have cocos2d-x and cocos3d-x - then developers can choose which one to use and engine developers can concentrate on optimisations of one or the other.
release schedule. Honestly - stop releasing new versions so frequently and instead concentrate on quality. QUALITY is what will make cocos2d-x the engine of choice.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll do my best. After I finish the VR thing I’ll work on fixing bugs, fixing bugs, fixing bugs and other low-hanging-fruits features like tvOS.
@ShunLin is that Ok for you?

7 Likes

Does fixing bugs include low performance on android issues? lol :stuck_out_tongue:

@ricardo i posted a bug on this forum:http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/cocos2d-x-3-11-prebuild-cocos2d-x-libs-failed/29272/4 i think this is a very serious bug, but, no one to respond me until today,this bug seems to be ignored,could you help me, please?

yes.

I’m sorry, but I’m not familiar with cocos gen-libs. In fact I was against of including that feature in cocos. I don’t think it should be there. But since it is there we should support it, but as I said, I’m not familiar with it.

@b12345 Thanks for the feedback. I just come to take in charge of cocos2d-x these days, i worked for creator in the previous moths.

I think i handles PR and issues actively these days. But because there are so many existing PRs and issues, i can not handle all of them quickly. Sorry about it. But i will do my best.

As the plan of cocos2d-x, i think i will focus on existing codes without adding big features. As @ricardo said, we are lack of bandwidth. And i will put these things in high priority:

Though i can not make decision of all the things. But i will do my best, and please point out what you think is wrong or missing. Thanks again.

Yes, it is Ok to me. And the performance issues of android 6 should be the most important one.

1 Like

There are issues for the tasks:

About full gradle support, did you mean

• edit C/C++ codes in Android Studio?
  • build/debug C/C++ codes in Android Studio?

But we can not achieve it currently because of gradle native supporting limitation of Android Studio. More detail information please refer to this ticket.

Sorry for jump in middle.
Regarding Android-6 poor performance, I want to share my recent experience.

I just made 1 endless game for client and it has lots of physics bodies with 3 cameras.

I was creating all elements at init and just changing position at run time.
It has group of Physics elements in 6 layers so i was just setting position of layer as player moves.

For iPhone it was smooth game-play but for android it was very jerky/gliches during game-play.
For Android 6.0(including Samsung galaxy s7) it has more problem compare to older OS versions.

So i almost tried everything to make it good for 10 days, and finally i had good output by using only 1 camera(the default camera) and create elements when that layer suppose to come on screen and removing from layer when that elements gets out of screen on every time.

I hope this can help you to figure out problem some how.

I can compile v3.11 with cocos gen-libs -c just fine, iOS and Android.

I replied to you in that thread.

@zhangxm
Just out of curiosity how many developers are working on the engine full time ? not the editor .

The development resources of engine framework and editors are sharing now, and we should make sure that engine framework is high quality, high performance and editor friendly.
The resources are assigned to engine framework task dynamically.

It depends on how many critical/major bugs and feedbacks we received from community and how many features we are developing.

@smitpatel88 thanks for your information. Your issue seems different with others.

@Obg1 I run cpp-tests(the start sceen, not) on Xiaomi4, which is full HD(1920*1080) with Android 6.0.1, and its FPS is 60.

How many are you ?

@zhangxm try to run on a QHD device, with a resolution larger than 1920x1080

I know that this thread is about the problems with cocos2dx, but I just want to thank you for this awesome framework. I agree that all these issues need to be addressed, and soon. But despite all these problems, it is still a great framework. Thanks.

2 Likes

You’re right - it is great; and we want to keep it great by stabilising and fixing bugs rather than by adding features (or, more accurately, before adding features!)

@Maxxx @schngrg Yep, that’s what i do these days.
@Obg1 I will try to find a device to test.

Hey, sorry i was away for casual connect Asia. I have access to 30+ android devices, I will create a report of performances on different devices. Hopefully it will be of use.

5 Likes