cocos2d-x and android rendering performance

Hi,

first of all I’d like to point out that my experience in game programming is rather limited. I know the basics of OpenGL and have some sort of understanding of how a typical game engine works.

A few days ago I found cocos2d and the C++ port which immediately got me interested. I downloaded the latest version (cocos2d-2.1beta3-x-2.1.1) and decided to give it a try on my Samsung Galaxy S2. I compiled the SimpleGame example included in the zip and fired it up on my phone. The game worked and the frame rate (according to the displayed stats) seemed ok (constantly ~60). However, every second or so I can clearly observe a jitter effect in the rendering. I tried various things to get rid of this jitter (turned off debugging, switched to using a sprite sheet and introduced an object pool for the sprites). None of these measures did however help.

Is there anything I can do to make the rendering “flawless” on my Galaxy S2 device?

I realize that it is a tough job to make a cross compatible framework like cocos2d-x and that it might be optimized for iOS, so I wonder whether cocos2d-x really is a good choice if the goal is to create a game primarily for Android?

— Andy

Check out this post:-
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/boards/6/topics/14871?r=19010#message-19010

Thanks for the answer.

I had a look at that post before and realized that the highlighted code was already commented out in the latest release of cocos2d-x. As a test I also tried restoring the code but I couldn’t see any visual difference.