cocos2D for Symbian with Qt

I see that there is no port of cocos2D for the Symbian platform. I am thinking of working on that for a few games I want to develop for Symbian platform. Could you provide me an insight on what the effort in days might be (from your experience with other platforms so far) to port cocos2d-iphone to the Symbian platform?

We’re refactoring the platform adaptor layer now. This work may be finished in the next month. I suggest you start porting after that.
After this refactor, the folder structure in cocos2d-x will be
* cocos2dx
* CocosDenshion
* Box2D
* chipmunk
* platform_support
* HelloWorld
* tests
* template

The folders except platform_support will be platform independent. So you can easily implement the interfaces in platform_support to port cocos2d-x onto a new target OS, such as CCXUIImage, CCXApplication, CCXEGLView, CCXBitmapDC, CCXFileUtils and so on

I think the challenge of symbian port is STL. As I know, there’s no STL on symbian os even Meego, but cocos2d-x depend on it. What’s your plan?

I have been searching for STL ports for Symbian and they seem to be available. I will evaluate those and see if they can be used (but most of them have been tested with S60 and other phones). If things don’t work out well, I guess it will better to use the Qt/Symbian equivalent structures of STL.

You can contact us if you have any question on porting.
The platform_support refactored version maybe released at the end of Feb.

Thank you, will surely contact you. But after seeing the numbers from the “ohloh” widget on cocos2d-iphone.org and cocos2d.org websites I am still wondering on what kind of effort is needed for this port. I would want not to believe that it has taken 31 man years for the iPhone port (but I also do not know how many people helped build it…).

Can you help me with those numbers? I am trying to create a team to start working on this as soon as you are done with the re-factoring and am actually looking at a 6 months time-line to bring out the first build. Your thoughts on the above numbers will help me decide on the number of people I might actually need to put in to achieve this.

If we achieve a fairly good build we would love to merge our work with your project… Thanks again for your help so far

* @rk, you can reference to this branch https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/tree/bada. A 25-aged young guy started this bada port on his Friday evening, and finished this branch at Monday morning, took no more than 24 working hours. The amazing is that, he didn’t contact me for any support before he finished it. So it may be faster if the porting is well tech supported.
* By now, the porting job is just to implement the classes in cocos2d-x_root/cocos2dx/platform, compile thrid-party libraries and implement CocosDenshion::SimpleAudioEngine. You can see each platform has its folder in cocos2dx/platform. There’re no too much code lines in each:
#* android - 1975 lines
#* iphone 3405 lines
#* uphone
3116 lines
#* win32 - 2292 lines

So at the worst case:
# 4000 lines of porting layer to symbian, 200 lines per man-day, and you need 20 man-days on cocos2dx_root/cocos2dx/platform/symbian.
# 5 man-days on third party libraries, e.g. libpng, libxml2, zlib, libjpeg(optional), iconv, and stl.
# 5 man-days on CocosDenshion::SimpleAudioEngine, just call the media player interface of symbian sdk

sum: 30 man-days at the worst case. Don’t forget the bada guy implement 1 & 2 items in only 3 man-days :slight_smile:

Have a good luck!

That’s good for me… thank you so much for your time

i want to port cocos for my qt applications. So how can I start with?

Walzer wrote:

* @rk, you can reference to this branch https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/tree/bada. A 25-aged young guy started this bada port on his Friday evening, and finished this branch at Monday morning, took no more than 24 working hours. The amazing is that, he didn’t contact me for any support before he finished it. So it may be faster if the porting is well tech supported.
* By now, the porting job is just to implement the classes in cocos2d-x_root/cocos2dx/platform, compile thrid-party libraries and implement CocosDenshion::SimpleAudioEngine. You can see each platform has its folder in cocos2dx/platform. There’re no too much code lines in each:
#* android - 1975 lines
#* iphone 3405 lines
#* uphone
3116 lines
#* win32 - 2292 lines
>
So at the worst case:
# 4000 lines of porting layer to symbian, 200 lines per man-day, and you need 20 man-days on cocos2dx_root/cocos2dx/platform/symbian.
# 5 man-days on third party libraries, e.g. libpng, libxml2, zlib, libjpeg(optional), iconv, and stl.
# 5 man-days on CocosDenshion::SimpleAudioEngine, just call the media player interface of symbian sdk
>
——
sum: 30 man-days at the worst case. Don’t forget the bada guy implement 1 & 2 items in only 3 man-days :slight_smile:
>
Have a good luck!

I want to port cocos to Qt…i have created cocos2dx_root/cocos2dx/platform/qt & did some changes….but how to do the changes for .dll files?

@amrit
dll files are the binary results of other open source project, such as libxml2, libpng.
You can easily find them in the symbian SDK, or download the source from their website then compile to a binary on symbian

rk rk wrote:

I see that there is no port of cocos2D for the Symbian platform. I am thinking of working on that for a few games I want to develop for Symbian platform. Could you provide me an insight on what the effort in days might be (from your experience with other platforms so far) to port cocos2d-iphone to the Symbian platform?

@amrit
Hi, have you managed get the Symbian Qt port working ? I am planning to get involved in the porting effort, can I get access to the source implemented so far ?

@amrit
Where can I find the branch cocos2dx_root/cocos2dx/platform/qt ?

I just compiled cocos2d-x HelloWorld demo for Symbian via airplay port

you can get the HelloWorld.sis at here:

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/boards/13/topics/1055

So cool.

amrit mishra: Did you manage to get cocos2d running with qt? If not, how far did you get or where are you stuck? I could offer my help in porting it.. bob dos: I would prefer not to use the airplay sdk, as there is a license fee (100$ for indie developers) for it…

@Christian Feldbacher
I haven’t heard any news from symbian port for several months.
Please feel free to fork and port our source from http://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/. If you would like to contribute the symbian port to the opensource community, everyone here will appreciate you! :slight_smile: