Cocos Creator RoadMap - UPDATED thru 11/2016

I think the main problem is that, many of us not only want to hack something with js (of course we could), but we love c++.
I like cocos2d-x very well, but it’s “only” a tool what i use, what have an acceptable content editor. For my (hopefully) long programming life i use dailly c++. It’s my job, it’s my hobby too. I will never choose js against c++.

2 Likes

Any plans to support Apple TV tvos?

I don’t think you have something to worry about .
Level editor is something that is always good to have , it is extendable and can be customize so what is the problem ?
In the road map i see there will be c++ support in the end,
And remember that we as c++ developers are minority as business wise solution to spreed the word and to be accessible To as many as possible they must work hard on the javascript side .
This is something very smart as company they are doing.

I made a game in it and it really helped me to fasten up the work. So, you can’t exactly say that they left the project. It’s just that they are not supporting further updates on it but whatever was released is complete in that and you can always use cocosIDE. Just that they didn’t have furture goals for it and so they never discussed roadmap. So, yes it’s not idle but not a big deal and as open source community progress, better approaches are given priority even at the cost of leaving some projects which won’t yield much to the the new vision!

Well, this is how open source communities evolve.

Ya, same as what I also agreed :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what will happen to Cocos Studio? Will it be maintained or discontinued?

Take a look on this thread

When will the April update arrive? the one with colliders and physics support?

@slackmoehrle
What is the future of 3d in cocos ? and cocos creator ?
Will it be supported ?

End of April or beginning of May

We already started working on it, hopefully you guys can see something this summer

Will have Cocos Creator a UI component like tableview or listview with Drag and drop to re-order items like this? Maybe a sortable grid layout?
Thanks

1 Like

That’s a very good idea actually. It could be used to create a level selection menu instead of doing it manually.

1 Like

I admit we haven’t thought about it yet, but we strongly encourage anyone who is interested to develop a plugin and share it in the forum

I loaded up Cocos Creator and poked it with a stick. The first thing I took note of is that it only supports JavaScript, a language that I don’t much care for (and I’m not alone in this). However, TypeScript looks like it addresses many JavaScript shortcomings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TypeScript#Language_features

And notably, Google and Microsoft have collaborated with it: http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/05/microsoft-and-google-collaborate-on-typescript-hell-has-not-frozen-over-yet/

Is there any interest by the Cocos Creator team in supporting TypeScript out of the box?

1 Like

I would actually recommend SWIFT as a default language, It’s the best language out there in my opinion and companies like Google & Facebook already considering using it.
http://thenextweb.com/dd/2016/04/07/google-facebook-uber-swift/#gref

Swift looks fine too. It’s just that TypeScript is a superset of JavaScript and translates to JavaScript. Given that Cocos Creator is already supporting JavaScript, it seems like adding TypeScript would be easier than many other languages.

I’d be happy to get either one.

2 Likes

TypeScript was used for the original cocos-html v4 project that is no longer in development. You should be able to use TypeScript for your game code on top of the javascript engine, though it may require a small amount of extra work outside “create new project” and ideally someone creates the .ts.d definitions file for function auto-complete. There may be extra work around using it, but if your game is large enough you’ll find benefits (or for small projects where you just want the sane equals, type checking, and future features, etc). Even if it’s never officially supported you should be able to just compile it down to use as a cocos creator plugin, game scripting logic (hybrid js/c++), or the entire game code.

Swift has been looked at and there was a small side project creating bindings for cocos2d (related forum topic), in the end though it’ll probably require a community bindings support until the community provides an auto-binding generator tool or workflow that the engine team could just “plug in” without effort. You can also see how the Cocos2d-Swfit project that was a hopeful in the space as a modernization of the cocos2d-iphone essentially failed to gain enough support to build out, unfortunately.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1455832115/cocos2d-pureswift.

What could be interesting if the cocos2d (iphone/spritebuilder/etc) community decided to take up the cocos2d-x core and build the Swift bindings and support around the engine to essentially provide a potentially API compatible version and then slowly merge the two.

1 Like

@slackmoehrle

In the road map for 2016.3 where you say ”…node process programming with simple html page”

Are you talking about some kind of visual scripting tool?

I’m asking because this days there are visual programing tools everywhere (Unreal Engine, Unity, CryEngine, etc.). I myself am trying to wrap my head around web components, Polymer and Electron, to see if I can pull that one off.

My package extension would be free and open source. It will be based in the FBP language used in Flowhub, with the MicroFlo runtime. In my case there is still a lot of work to to. That’s why I’d love to hear that you guys are working in something like that.

1 Like

Hey there i am confused there are cocos , cocos2d-x and now cocos creator
i downloaded cocos2d-x but wasn’t easy for me to work with.
i wants to know what shall i download cocos creator or cocos
i think one of them is like unity
but they differs in the language used to make games but still don’t know
anyway if you can help me i want to make the game using c++
and thanks in advance