Cocos Creator license and source code?

1. Which type of license is Coco Creator published on? I have searched though the web and Cocos Creator software files (Mac OS) and help files, but does not get any documentation about it.

2. Is Cocos Creator open source? Where is the source code? There is a project https://github.com/cocos-creator/CocosCreator in github but that is empty.

Thanks.

1 Like

Here’s a brief version of Cocos Creator License:

LICENSE AGREEMENT
For purposes  of  this License  Agreement, Cocos Creator created by Beijing Chukong  Aipu Technology  Co., Ltd is a cross-platform desktop software for developing game software and interactive rich media that can be published to Android, iOS, Web Standard, Windows and Mac. 
Cocos Creator as a software includes open sourced JavaScript game engine, editor extension and C++ game engine. It also includes close sourced editor program.
Open sourced JavaScript and C++ game engine, with editor extension can be modified and customized by developer user. The modified and customized version of software can be used to develop game software and interactive rich media for end users, but not allowed to redistribute or publish game develop software based on Cocos Creator's open sourced code.

Cocos Creator are licensed to you  subject to the terms of this License Agreement ("License
Agreement"). This  License Agreement forms  a legally binding  contract between you  and Beijing Chukong  Aipu  Technology  Co.,  Ltd,  a  Chinese  Beijing   corporation  located  at  Room  323101, Building 5, Yard 1, Futong East Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing  100102, China ("Chukong Aipu ") in relation to your use of  Cocos Creator.
In  order   to  use  Cocos  Creator,  you  must   first  agree  to   this  License  Agreement.   By downloading, installing,  copying  or otherwise  using  Cocos Creator, you  accept the  terms  and conditions of this License  Agreement. If you do  not agree with any of  the terms or conditions of this License Agreement, do not proceed with downloading, copying, installing or  any  other use of Cocos Creator or any portion thereof as you have no rights to do so.

THIS  SOFTWARE  IS  PROVIDED   BY  ESOTERIC  SOFTWARE  "AS  IS"   AND  ANY  EXPRESS  OR IMPLIED  WARRANTIES,   INCLUDING,   BUT  NOT   LIMITED  TO,   THE  IMPLIED   WARRANTIES  OF MERCHANTABILITY AND  FITNESS FOR  A PARTICULAR  PURPOSE ARE  DISCLAIMED. IN  NO EVENT SHALL   ESOTERIC   SOFTARE  BE   LIABLE   FOR   ANY   DIRECT,   INDIRECT,   INCIDENTAL,   SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED  TO, PROCUREMENT OF   SUBSTITUTE   GOODS  OR   SERVICES;   LOSS   OF   USE,   DATA,  OR   PROFITS;   OR   BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT  (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN  ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Some modules of Cocos Creator is open sourced, including JavaScript and C++ engine and some plugin packages.

Open sourced engine repos:

1 Like

Thank you very much.
“It also includes close sourced editor program.”
So the Cocos Creator editor is closed source?

Creator editor is partially open sourced,

Where’s the source code which is open ? :slight_smile:

Regarding the licence… so part of it’s code is open source and part is closed. What does that mean for developers? I’m kinda bad with licences that doesn’t say much in front… Is it free to use engine and publish commercial games or is there a fee or something else like credits,etc… ?

1 Like

is it free for commercial games?

1 Like

Well I suppose it is but you can’t edit or sell/distribute the engine itself.
As stated below:
“The modified and customized version of software can be used to develop game software and interactive rich media for end users, but not allowed to redistribute or publish game develop software based on Cocos Creator’s open sourced code.”
If I understood good we can create games for free even in commercial for now if something doesn’t change but do not have permission to mess with the engine or create version of our engine based on theirs open sourced code.
Anyone else has some info regarding this? I might not be correct on this but that’s how I understood it.

I did some closer reading on the licence and found this nice line that says :
“1.2 Subject to the terms of this License Agreement, Chukong Aipu grants you a limited, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable, revocable and non-exclusive license to use Cocos Creator solely to develop applications and games on your target platforms. The softwares or tools in this License Agreement are licensed, not sold.”
So as I believe you can produce commercial games and use engine free of cost as long as the licence doesn’t change. Correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes