c++ open source map editor like in Aquaria game

Hello ,

First of all I want to say what a great work ! I started to port my game in cocos2dx.

I have found a very nice editor open source for that doesn’t use tiles but pieced images like in Braid or Aquaria games.

http://gametuto.com/in-game-c-map-editor-tutorial-with-indielib-engine-that-dosent-use-tiles-but-pieced-images-like-in-braid-or-aquaria-games/

Can you added the level format to be loaded by tile map engine in cocos2d x.

This could be a huge improvement for the cocos2d x visual aspect of the games.

I started to do this but I am not to familiar with the Tile map format in cocos2d.

best regards,

Valentin Vit

Thanks for you suggestion!
RicardoQuesada will publish cocos2d-iphone 0.99.5-final in before Christmas, and then cocos2d-x will upgrade to 0.99.5, keep sync with our parent project. This work may continue to the end of Jan 2011.
I am afraid cocos2d-x have no more men to add new features in these 2 months.

If you want this feature immediately, you can contribute codes to cocos2d-iphone “extras” directory, such as “joystick” & “proximity”. Submit the feature to cocos2d-iphone and use in 0.99.5. After Jan 2011, cocos2d-x will inherit the “extras” from cocos2d-iphone repository.

Hi, guys. This case is interesting. But who can tell me the relationship between this map editor and IndieLib.com? I saw IndieLib is published under LGPL, it’s no so good for developers.
I love MIT, Apache license…

Hello
I will try to make a loader for cocos2d x.

From what I saw the map format for the editor is not so complex as the tmx format from cocos2d. For example it does not support base64 encryption.

Also I will need a few hints:

use as base for tiles CCSpriteSheet in order to use an Atlas texture and rotate,scale position real time> is a good idea ?
~~when cocos2d x will upgrade to 0.99.5 CCSpriteSheet will be transformed in CCSpriteBatchNode ? what are the difference ?
~~I need a hint to a code sample to load images from Atlas texture
-Can I use Tinyml and still be portable on Iphone in order to keep the compatibility with indielib?

best regards,
Valentin Vit

• use as base for tiles CCSpriteSheet in order to use an Atlas texture and rotate,scale position real time -> is a good idea ?

• CCSpriteSheet must be helpful to image tiles structure. You can inherit it
  • when cocos2d x will upgrade to 0.99.5 CCSpriteSheet will be transformed in CCSpriteBatchNode ? what are the difference ?

• CCSpriteBatchNode is a new feature in 0.99.5. cocos2d-x may offer this class by Jan 2011.
  • I need a hint to a code sample to load images from Atlas texture

• Please take a look in tests/tests/AltasTest & tests/SpriteTest
  • Can I use Tinyml and still be portable on Iphone in order to keep the compatibility with indielib?

• libxml is recommend. But if you perfer tinyxml, you can carry it on your feature patch :slight_smile:

“CCSpriteSheet must be helpful to image tiles structure. You can inherit it”

What are the advantage to inherit CCSpriteSheet . If I create the tiles as CCSprites directly and add it to CCSpriteSheet is to memory consuming ?

The advantage is if I inherit I don ’t have to create a CCSprite for each tile ? Is this related to performance ?

Or there are any other reason ?