Build an Open source Cocos IDE

I want to create another IDE which supports C++ only. Do you guys have any suggestion? How to start?

There’s a cocos2d-x ide made here:

And there’s an unofficial c++ plugin support for Cocos Creator.

Hopefully these may inspire you in some ways when you head out to create your own ide.

Note: I edited my post to include more sourced references.

I believe you should use Qt. Ideally OpenGL view should be used to implement CCGLView in Qt.
So you will control cocos2d-x inside your editor. Thats how SpriteBuilder made in. Take a look at it https://github.com/spritebuilder/SpriteBuilder
It was developed ideally… thats how I think editor for cocos2d-x should work and be, but it’s not cross-platform, thats why it’s abandoned.

Also, you asked about IDE, probably about you wanna ask about an editor?

@jake72 you spamming with that editor. Thats not fun, thats SPAM, do you understand? Question was how to start.

Thanks. SpriteBuilder should be a good place to start. Exactly I want a development tool kit like Cocos Studio. I know it’s huge work, but it’s interesting. Btw, I will look at x-studio365 too to figure out good features.

I admit I’m a little off topic but I was hoping that it would help op in way that he could reference them. I’m not exactly spamming, you could check my post history. Calm down a little we each trying help each other out here.

1 Like

Good job if it come true!.

@BugsKiller will you make it open source? Will you plan to sell the IDE?

It’s not IDE, wrong title. And topicstarter already said that he want something like cocos studio… so probably yes) closef source glitchy editor which isn’t needed to anyone and as result abandoned. Well, I hope to see less such editors in future.

No, I dont plan to sell. I will keep it in open source. It’s just hobby.
For now, Cocos Creator is working for me pretty well.

1 Like