Brief Issues and Impressions on Mac

I discovered Cocos Creator 2.0.2 today and thought I’d give it a try! First impressions were immediately pretty positive - visually, the app looks great for a cross platform not-quite-native thing and it properly supports my retina display so everything is nice and crispy! Unfortunately I ran into some issues very quickly. Since I love what I see out of the gate, I thought I’d post them here in the hopes that they can be addressed because, IMO, they’re kind of major for a new Mac user checking things out.

First issue: I’m running macOS 10.14 on a 15" MacBook Pro. I have no external mouse - just the trackpad. I immediately ran into some trouble there because the scene viewer says to right-click and drag to move around - but I can’t. With the trackpad, the usual right-click process is to hold down control and click but that isn’t working here. In fact, I can’t bring up any right click menus anywhere in Cocos Creator using the control-click method (or, indeed, any other way that I can find). That’s a bit of a deal breaker for someone like me, unfortunately, and I can’t find any preference/setting in the app that might change this behavior.

Second issue: In the scene view, the two-finger gesture on my trackpad zooms instead of pans. Mac apps should pan in a view like this when using two-fingers (which indeed would be what I expect to do to pan around rather than using the right-click-drag method which is mentioned on a label within the scene view). Zooming should be done using pinch gestures. I know this is because by default, macOS maps the two-finger gesture on trackpads to a traditional mouse wheel event unless the app modifies the behavior, but it feels very wrong in this context. I could live with it, though, if I could pan the view somehow - but as noticed in issue 1, I seem to not be able to with just a trackpad?

Third issue: I created a new project using the example that is titled “Example Collection” and there was a description on the project saying it was “good for novices getting started learning” or something like that. After it opened, there was… nothing? I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t see anything obvious like “Main Scene” or anything. I was confused. I ended up closing it after exploring the UI a bit and using the “Hello World” template instead. That also opened seemingly with an empty project - but luckily I’ve used this sort of tool before and saw the “scene” file here and opened it. Then stuff started to make sense - but it was still quite confusing. I don’t know what “Example Collection” is for - but I think it might need some work or something? Also these example projects should really open with whatever scene they’re supposed to “start” with out of the box. A new user has no idea what they’re doing!

Fourth issue: I hit the play button and launched the demo. It popped open Safari and worked perfectly. Very nice! I think went back to Cocos Creator and check the drop down menu thinking I might find something like “iPhone” in there - but nope. I found simulator, so I tried that. Worked in a native window. Super fast launch, too. Neat! Still, though, I wanted to try to figure out how you run the app on a real mobile device. It took awhile, but I eventually found the Project… Build menu. I selected iOS from the platforms list and clicked Build. This took awhile and seemed to freeze the UI, but it did… something. Nothing popped up. So, I tried to click the next button in the sequence: Compile. This took awhile too then failed. I saw a note in the footer to see a log file. I checked it. It just says to update Xcode. I have no idea what this means - I’m running the latest. Something is very wrong here.

Fifth issue: This is minor, but I noticed that whenever Cocos Creator launches a standalone window for anything (the build window, a sprite editor window, heck even the about window), there’s a huge lag time when the window appears and is blank while… something… is loading. That’s odd. Not a show stopper, but odd.

Sixth issue: I kept trying to figure out how to build natively. Eventually I realized it was generating Xcode projects behind the scenes and I found the project that the “Build” button successfully generated. I opened it in Xcode myself and it built! So okay, this part works - it’s just that Cocos Creator seems unable to kick off the build process itself now, maybe? (Reminder: Running 10.14 - maybe this is a Mojave issue?)

Seventh issue: After finding the Xcode project, I was able to build. So I built and ran the Hello World project as a native Mac app. It launched an empty window. I waited a bit thinking maybe it had the same lag that new windows in the editor seem to have (issue 5). But still nothing. I resized the window - and boom the hello world scene appeared. Huh. So I tried it again - same problem. Resizing the window or, I think, even moving it causes it to appear. My gut is there is some kind of render loop that isn’t doing anything because the hello world app has no animations or anything and it didn’t run the loop the first time at app launch. Or something?

Eighth issue: This might be a similar underlying issue as 7, but when I ran the Xcode project for the iOS target instead, it compiled and started launching by first showing the Cocos splash screen and then it flashed a single full screen frame of solid magenta before the hello world scene appeared. I relaunched a few times and it does it every time. Ew.

Ninth issue: I noted these things down and came to the forum to write this post and hope that someone can use these as action items. IMO, they’re all pretty serious when it comes to first impressions. In my attempt to do so, I signed up for the forum and then couldn’t find a New Topic button to post anything. I searched around for 5 minutes trying to figure out wtf was wrong or what I was missing. I finally found a “new users” forum post and posted a reply about this problem there. Then I was granted access to top post. Ew. Very user-hostile and off-putting for someone new. I’m actually pretty excited now that I know about this project and I just want to help make it easier for new users to get into and get started. I hope my feedback can help!

1 Like

This is great. Thank you. I am forwarding this to our engineering team so everyone can read it. Thank for for taking the time to write this.

I think we need to work on gestures for sure. I still struggle with them in Creator. I just use a mouse.

To be fair about the new user issues the Welcome post is pinned globally so it should be the first post you see when you sign up. We do this to fight SPAM posts. It works. It does inconvenience new users for a few minutes, longer if they don’t take the time to feed the welcome post. We used to get a lot of Spam posts now it is down to a few per week and has been this way for 4 years or so.

I hope it helps! I do have a mouse somewhere - but it’s lost at home and can’t remember the last time I used it. Since I mostly work/compute on the go from coffee shops and the like, I never have it with me so unfortunately my ability to explore Cocos Creator much further today is probably going to be somewhat limited, sadly.

Regarding the forums: Honestly I usually ignore pinned posts on forums since they’re almost always things like, “the last release” or “the latest news” or whatever and I just look right past them. Of course I did eventually find that post in this case, but it feels like the process could be better. Would it be possible to keep the New Topics button enabled but show some kind of message explaining the situation when you click on it instead of just hiding it? That could help a lot.

Maybe we can take a several pronged approach to this.

Once I found my mouse, I played around with Cocos Creator a bit more intentionally by working through the beginners quick start guide that I found here: http://cocos2d-x.org/docs/creator/manual/en/getting-started/quick-start.html I have to say it was quite delightful! I only ran into a couple of memorable issues - and one was clearly my fault. I figured I might as well note them in case it’s useful to anyone. :slight_smile:

First Issue: I already had VisualStudio installed and I couldn’t figure out why nothing was working the way it should have. It turned out that I did not have VisualStudio Code installed - which is a totally different product! Whoops. Once I got that sorted, the code editing situation improved dramatically and opening the script files from within Cocos Creator worked as it should.

Second Issue: I decided to try using Cocos Creator in full screen mode. It works pretty well this way, except anything that pops open a new window - like opening preferences or project settings - end up opening in a new full screen window of their own. That just doesn’t feel right - although I admit that some popup windows I might want to be full screen, so there’s probably no obviously correct answer here. This isn’t so much a problem as I just wanted to note it seemed odd at first and it might be nice if some windows, like the preference windows in particular, could instead somehow open floating on top of the editor even when in full screen mode.

Third Issue: The simulator kept opening in portrait mode even after I changed the mode within the simulator. I eventually found the Project Preview settings and configured it to always use a specific landscape size which made more sense for the tutorial project.

Fourth Issue: Audio doesn’t seem to play at all in Safari on Mojave when running the project in the browser. Everything else seemed to work - just no audio. (I had to click in the view before keyboard input worked - but I expect that’s normal.)

Fifth Issue: The tutorial seemed to have a mix of styles when it came to defining functions - sometimes a function was defined as: name: function () { /* code */ } and other times it was in the form of: name () { \* code *\ }. Personally I prefer the second format. Not sure why the tutorial switched it up sometimes, but that could maybe be unnecessarily confusing to anyone newer to programming. (This is perhaps the most minor “issue” of all but figured I’d mention it anyway because I’m on a roll here.)

All in all, there was really only one important issue (audio not playing) as I worked through the tutorial. I’m pretty impressed with Cocos Creator and the beginner’s tutorial - compared to the other open source and/or free game engines I’ve briefly played with, this one has gone the most smoothly (after hooking up a mouse).

2 Likes

@bigzaphod thank you for writing this in. I wanted to say almost the same and even more, but it’s time consuming :smiley: There are a lot of problems with usability and way of how it work overall, as I remember I suffered with Cocos Studio’s in almost the same way(was job for client and I have to use it). For now, I just moved to cocos2d-x as it is, creating scenes in a code is not what I want, but it’s just works. Time to time I tried some updates and new versions but I didn’t find any improvements in this direction.

1 Like

me too :joy:
thanks a lot @bigzaphod

1 Like

Thanks. I hope it helps! I see a lot of promise in this project and I’d hate for all the hard work they have already invested to end up being less appreciated simply because of some basic usability issues.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback. These operations should be optimized.
We will also give some advice on this questions and update the documents.

You can drag on trackpad using two fingers to pan it. (Same as dragging mouse by using right button)

You can enable the secondary click. It’s much easier than pressing control button.

We should open TestList.fire by default, thanks for advice.

Try reading http://www.cocos2d-x.org/docs/creator/manual/en/publish/setup-native-development.html#install-c-compiling-environment please

Maybe @drelaptop can check this.

Please test on the real device but not simulator.

You can use any code editor, not just VSC.

thanks for this feedback. You must use Xcode 10. this issues not cocos creator’s fault, but Apple.

some warm-hearted cocos2d-x developers have discuss this, and found a workaround to solve this. you can refer to:

Ah ha! It works! I see that two-finger tap also works to get right-click menus on Cocos Creator so that’s multiple problems solved here - thanks!

I still think a normal non-click trackpad gesture should work for panning and that control-click should also open right-click menus on Mac. I’ve been exclusively using a MacBook with a trackpad as my only computer for nearly 10 years (all the way back to the PowerBook G4) and didn’t manage to figure this out because control-click and non-click gestures work everywhere.I really think Cocos Creator should support these interactions, too. I almost didn’t write my feedback post at all and gave up and moved on as a result of this! I’m glad I didn’t - but how many people move on and never look back because of simple things like this?

I guess all I meant about this item was that I was reading the instructions for how to set up VisualStudio Code and thought I had VisualStudio Code - but didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue: This was totally my fault and I just wanted to note it here in case anyone else made the same mistake I did since the names are so similar.

I looked through all of this, but I don’t think this addresses the problems of “Please update Xcode” that shows up in Creator. I already have Xcode 10. (And also Xcode 10.1 beta 2).

So it sounds like there’s a code fix for this? It’s not clear to me if this code fix is something that’ll be in future versions of Cocos Creator?

Thanks for the help and info!

it’s a bug of cocos cmd, if you open the Xcode project directly, not click “compile” in the creator build panel. no error will occur. Next release will fixed this.

partly, there is a workaround to avoid this, but the truly bug need to be fixed by Apple. I think if Apple fix this bug soon, we don’t need to add this workaround into engine code, or we need did. @jare what’s your option?

Awesome - thanks!

In my experience it’s best not to count on Apple shipping fixes for bugs like this - especially since I know they don’t care much about OpenGL anymore. :confused:

you must be setting simulator Global option in Project View,The preference setting will be valid,