[ANDROID Available] Pocket Air Hockey Development Process

Hi everyone :sunny:

We are two developers from Germany and currently develop a mobile air hockey game for Android and iOS, which is our first cocos2d-x game project. It will be different to other air hockey games and includes several modes, for example endless mode with increasing level of difficulty, redhot mode with power-ups and also the classic and the time mode.

We decided to share our development process to the community to help others and receive a little feedback for our game. We will post regularly to share the development state, our ideas and other things with you.

In the description of our trailer video you find our contact e-mail and social network links which you can use to contact/follow us.

Feel free to contact us anytime and ask us anything you want about the game, code or other things! We try to answer as good as we can :slight_smile:

Here is the trailer of our current state of the game, hope you enjoy it! :smiley:

Pocket Airhockey Trailer

Hello guys!

Our new homepage is coming soon [redhot-games.com][1]
We would appreciate it if you take a look :blush:

Currently we work on the website and do some sketches about the game design and play a bit with it. Soon we post some new stuff about the game or some sketches so maybe some of you could give as a little feedback about their opinion.

Thanks in advance!
[1]: http://redhot-games.com

Hi :stuck_out_tongue:

here are some sketches about our menu structure. We consider which one fits the best for our game… but still no clue. Maybe you could help us with our decision or give us some tips :smile:

Sketches with icons:

Sketches with labels:

It would be nice if you vote for your favorite 1-5 or 6 if you dont like any of these. Contact us per post/pm or mail at yves@redhot-games.com.

We would really appriciate your help!

Thank you :sunny:

The game looks good so far. :+1:

For the menus, in 1 and 2 the paint and gear icons look stretched and in 3 the people icons look squashed.
I prefer 5 over 4 and the menus in the video look good too.

Also there are plenty of air hockey games already on the play store so you’ll have to do something unique. :wink:

Hey i__d__k,

thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it :smiley: :+1:
I guess i forgot to tell that these sketches dont show the correct icon scaling. These sketches should just roughly show the menu item positions.
In the final release the icons will be svg’s and in the right scaling. :blush:

Yeah we are aware of the fact that there are plenty of other air hockey games but we are going to implement unique elements for example special game modes and try to convince with good controls. :sunny:

This day/night we work on our redhot mode. Maybe we can show you our result the next few days :smile:

Oh okay. If you scale the icons well, number 3 looks good too. :+1:

1 Like

Hello all :sunny:

we are currently working on our REDHOT mode which includes collectable power-ups with different effects!
On this screen shot you can see a small example of a power-up. This increased player is definitely the boss in this game for a short while :wink:

If anyone has a cool idea for an effect, please let us know. :blush: We would really appreciate it, thanks!

Congrats guys on the progress. This looks good so far!

I’ve got an idea :bulb: for a power up where if I take the power up, my opponent’s side of the screen should get blurred or hazy or it could flash dark for a few seconds.

Is that good?

Hi slackmoehle :yum: , Hi i__d__k :yum: ,

@slackmoehrle Thank you and great to hear! These kind of messages are always nice :blush:

@i__d__k cool idea! We definitely put this on our list! :blush: We just have to figure out how to implement such an effect and then we will see how good it fits into the gameplay! :smile:

1 Like

Hey hey :blush:

working right now on new graphics :smiley: Here is a little example :wink:

1 Like

@redhotgames Super! Herzlich wilkommen im forum! Ich würd nur “Skins” im Hauptmenü zu “Tables” umbenennen (Ihr wollt denke ich Tische, doch Arenas wären auch denkbar) :smile:

Nur aus neugier: Schreibt ihr in C++ oder JavaScript?

Hallo @Eschmelax :smiley:

vielen dank erstmal für diesen herzlichen Empfang und freut mich sehr das es dir gefällt :blush:
Im endgültigen Hauptmenü wird es keine Labels/Texte mehr geben, sondern nur noch für sich sprechende Icons :wink:

Das Spiel ist in c++ geschrieben.

Grüße :wink:

Super! Weiterhin viel erfolg! :smile:

For those of us who are not German, I pulled this from Google :wink:

redhotgames Super! Welcome to the forum! I’d only “Skins” in the main menu to “Tables” rename (You want I think tables, but Arenas would also be conceivable) smile

Just out of curiosity: You’re writing in C ++ or JavaScript?

HelloEschmelax smiley

Thank you first for this warm welcome and I am very happy that you like it blush
The final main menu there will be no labels / texts more, but only speaking for themselves Icons wink

The game is written in C ++.

Greetings wink

Excellent! Continued success

@redhotgames I like the new graphics, definitely better than the those icons :stuck_out_tongue:

@i__d__k Haha good google translation :smile:

1 Like

Hello back guys :smile:

didn’t post for a while because i had a severe cold and after that i was on vacation in greece for 2 1/2 weeks :sunny: :wink:
Hope you all had some hot summer days in the meantime :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

We continued working on our air hockey game now and heres a short update :blush: ( soon there will be more to show :smiley: )

New Menu Design

New Scoreleader Effects

New Timer Display

We also did a lot polishing of the game, improved the ai and added some new effects to the gameplay :blush:

Cheers :wink:

Collectable items look like candy :smile:

Hey all :smile:

the last days we did some bug fixing :weary: (So far no bugs now yeeeah :smiley: )
and some other stuff like:

• AI improvements
  • implemented scrollable statistics which track played and won games
  • added our setting system to handle music, sounds, vibration and effects (so you can turn them off on older devices)

Just a little update :blush:, Cheers

keep up the progress. Motivation to do what you love is important.