Ok, so it seems that I have found some kind of solution (at least it works for me).
Before installing new Cocos Creator:
- in VSCode remove all breakpoints from the project
- Close VSCode
- Go to folder project, and remove the entire .vscode folder (yes, this also includes launch.json and tasks.json)
- Remove everything inside folders /node, /library. The new creator will rebuild it.
Install new creator:
- Copy new creator
- Open new creator
- Select initial Scene
- Install VSCode Workflow (all steps from top to bottom).
- add isbuildingtask=true if needed (only if you build from VSCode)
Execute once without breakpoints.
Now you should be able to use breakpoints anywhere in your project. This is what I had to do from 1.5.2 to 1.7.2 but it may not needed from now on. Maybe its just a thing when migrate from older version to anything beyond 1.6
Hope it works for you.